Are you a fan of Breaking Bad and want to try your hand at making the iconic blue rock candy?
But maybe you’re not a fan of using corn syrup in your recipes.
Well, fear not! We’ve got you covered with a recipe for making Breaking Bad rock candy without corn syrup.
In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of making this delicious treat step-by-step, from the ingredients you’ll need to the tools required to make it.
So, put on your apron and let’s get cooking!
How To Make Breaking Bad Rock Candy Without Corn Syrup?
First things first, let’s gather our ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
– 2 cups granulated sugar
– 1/2 cup water
– 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
– Blue gel food coloring
– Clear flavoring extract (we recommend peppermint or blue raspberry)
– Candy thermometer
– Stainless steel pot with a heavy bottom
Now that you have your ingredients, let’s get started!
1. In your stainless steel pot, mix together the sugar, water, and cream of tartar. Stir until all the sugar is dissolved.
2. Place the pot on the stove over medium-high heat and insert your candy thermometer.
3. Keep stirring the mixture until it reaches 290 degrees Fahrenheit. Be sure to adjust the heat as necessary to prevent boiling over.
4. Once the mixture has reached 290 degrees Fahrenheit, remove it from the heat and add in a few drops of blue gel food coloring and your desired amount of clear flavoring extract.
5. Stir the mixture until the color and flavor are evenly distributed.
6. Pour the mixture onto a greased baking sheet or into candy molds.
7. Let the candy cool completely before handling or consuming.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully made Breaking Bad rock candy without corn syrup.
Ingredients Needed For Breaking Bad Rock Candy Without Corn Syrup
If you’re looking to make Breaking Bad rock candy without corn syrup, you’ll need a few specific ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
– 2 cups granulated sugar: Not all sugar is created equal, so be sure to use 100% cane sugar for the most reliable results.
– 1/2 cup water: This will help dissolve the sugar and create the candy mixture.
– 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar: This helps prevent the sugar from crystallizing and gives the candy a smoother texture.
– Blue gel food coloring: To achieve the iconic blue color of Breaking Bad rock candy, you’ll need a few drops of blue gel food coloring. Liquid food coloring may not produce the same results.
– Clear flavoring extract: To add flavor to your candy, you’ll want to use a clear flavoring extract. Peppermint or blue raspberry are recommended.
– Candy thermometer: A candy thermometer is essential for making perfect rock candy. Make sure to have one on hand to monitor the temperature of your candy mixture.
– Stainless steel pot with a heavy bottom: A heavy-bottomed pot will help distribute heat evenly and prevent scorching or burning of the candy mixture.
With these ingredients, you’ll be able to make delicious Breaking Bad rock candy without using any corn syrup.
Tools Required For Making Breaking Bad Rock Candy Without Corn Syrup
To make Breaking Bad rock candy without corn syrup, you’ll need a few specific tools. Here’s what you’ll need:
1. Candy Thermometer: This is the most important tool for making rock candy. It will help you monitor the temperature of the sugar mixture and ensure that it reaches the correct temperature for candy making.
2. Stainless Steel Pot with a Heavy Bottom: A heavy-bottomed pot will distribute heat evenly and prevent the sugar from burning.
3. Blue Gel Food Coloring: This will give your rock candy the iconic blue color seen on the show.
4. Clear Flavoring Extract: We recommend using peppermint or blue raspberry extract for a refreshing flavor.
5. Greased Baking Sheet or Candy Molds: You’ll need a surface to pour your candy onto, such as a greased baking sheet or candy molds.
By having these tools on hand, you’ll be able to make Breaking Bad rock candy without corn syrup with ease and precision.
Tips And Tricks For Perfecting Your Breaking Bad Rock Candy Without Corn Syrup
Making rock candy can be a bit tricky, but with the right tips and tricks, you can perfect your technique and create delicious candy every time. Here are some tips to help you along the way:
1. Use a heavy-bottomed stainless steel pot: Non-stick pans are notorious for causing sugar to crystalize when making candy. A good stainless steel pot with a heavy bottom is ideal.
2. Be careful when working with hot sugar: The syrup is very hot, so never leave the pot unattended and take extreme care when working with heating sugar. Use oven mitts and let the candy cool completely before handling or consuming.
3. Use a candy thermometer: If you have a candy thermometer, be sure to use it. Otherwise, watch carefully for any darkening or browning of the sugar, which indicates you’re getting the mixture too hot.
4. Avoid humid days: It’s best to make this candy on a dry day as it’s hygroscopic and can become sticky if the air is humid.
5. Prevent crystallization: If any sugar crystals begin to form on the sides of the pot, you must wash them down with a wet pastry brush dipped in water or the sugar may crystalize and you’ll have to start over.
6. Use food-safe flavorings: You can use any flavor, not just peppermint. Simply replace with equal amounts. Never use essential oils in baking or cooking. Only use flavorings that are labeled as food safe.
7. Store in an airtight container: To keep the candy from becoming sticky, store your rock candy in an airtight container. If you want to keep the crystals from sticking to each other, you can spritz them with nonstick cooking spray or dust them with powdered sugar.
By following these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to make perfect Breaking Bad rock candy without corn syrup every time!
Storage And Serving Suggestions For Your Homemade Breaking Bad Rock Candy Without Corn Syrup
Now that you have your homemade Breaking Bad rock candy without corn syrup, you’ll want to store it properly to ensure its longevity and freshness. Here are some storage and serving suggestions:
1. Store the rock candy in an airtight container at room temperature. Make sure the container is dry and free from moisture.
2. If you’re planning on keeping the rock candy for a while or giving it as gifts, consider wrapping each piece in cellophane wrappers to protect them from moisture and humidity.
3. To prevent the rock candy from sticking together, place them in a resealable bag with some powdered sugar and shake it up to coat the candy before storing.
4. When serving, consider displaying the rock candy in a clear glass jar or bowl for a fun and festive look.
5. Remember that homemade rock candy can last for up to a year if stored properly, so enjoy it at your leisure!
With these storage and serving suggestions, you can enjoy your homemade Breaking Bad rock candy without corn syrup for weeks or even months to come.