Bilo Bilo, also known as glutinous rice balls, is a popular ingredient in many Filipino desserts. These chewy and sweet balls are made from glutinous rice flour and water, and can be used in a variety of dishes such as Ginataang Bilo Bilo and Binignit.
Making Bilo Bilo from scratch may seem daunting, but with the right technique and ingredients, it can be a fun and rewarding experience. In this article, we will guide you through the process of making Bilo Bilo using rice flour, so you can impress your family and friends with your homemade Filipino desserts.
So let’s get started!
How To Make Bilo Bilo Using Rice Flour?
– 1 1/2 cups glutinous rice flour
– 1/4 cup sugar
– 1/2 cup water
– Food coloring (optional)
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the glutinous rice flour and sugar. Mix well.
2. Gradually add the water while stirring the mixture until it forms a dough-like consistency.
3. If desired, add a few drops of food coloring to the mixture to give it some color.
4. Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and pliable.
5. Pinch off small pieces of the dough and roll them into small balls about 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons in size.
6. Wet your hands slightly with water to prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands.
7. Place the balls on a plate or flat container and repeat until all the mixture is used up.
8. You can use the Bilo Bilo immediately or cover the container and freeze them for future use.
Congratulations, you have successfully made Bilo Bilo using rice flour! Now you can use them as an ingredient in your favorite Filipino desserts, such as Ginataang Bilo Bilo or Binignit.
Ingredients Needed For Making Bilo Bilo Using Rice Flour
To make Bilo Bilo using rice flour, you will need the following ingredients:
1. Glutinous Rice Flour – 1 1/2 cups of this flour is needed to make the dough for the Bilo Bilo.
2. Sugar – 1/4 cup of sugar is needed to add sweetness to the dough.
3. Water – 1/2 cup of water is needed to mix with the flour and sugar to form a dough.
4. Food coloring (optional) – A few drops of food coloring can be added to give the Bilo Bilo some color.
These ingredients are readily available at most grocery stores, especially Asian supermarkets. Once you have gathered all the ingredients, you are ready to start making your own Bilo Bilo using rice flour.
Preparing The Rice Flour Mixture
To make Bilo Bilo using rice flour, you will need to prepare the rice flour mixture first. Follow these steps:
1. In a mixing bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of glutinous rice flour and 1/4 cup of sugar. Mix well.
2. Gradually add 1/2 cup of water to the mixture while stirring continuously. Keep adding water until the mixture forms a dough-like consistency.
3. If you want to add some color to your Bilo Bilo, you can add a few drops of food coloring to the mixture at this point. Mix well until the color is evenly distributed.
4. Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and pliable. This will take a few minutes, but be patient and keep kneading until the dough is smooth.
5. Pinch off small pieces of the dough and roll them into small balls about 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons in size. Wet your hands slightly with water to prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands.
6. Place the balls on a plate or flat container and repeat until all the mixture is used up.
7. Your rice flour mixture is now ready to be used as an ingredient in your favorite Filipino desserts, such as Ginataang Bilo Bilo or Binignit.
By following these steps, you can easily make Bilo Bilo using rice flour at home. Enjoy!
Shaping The Bilo Bilo Balls
Shaping the Bilo Bilo balls is an important step in making this delicious Filipino dessert. To start, make sure that the mixture is thoroughly mixed and has a soft yet sticky consistency. Scoop about 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of the mixture and roll it into a ball shape using your hands. It is recommended to wet your hands slightly with water to prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands.
It is important to note that the size of the balls should be consistent to ensure even cooking. The balls should be small enough to cook through, but not too small that they fall apart in the liquid.
Once you have shaped all the Bilo Bilo balls, place them on a plate or flat container and repeat until all the mixture is used up. You can use them immediately or cover the container and freeze them for future use.
Making Bilo Bilo using rice flour is a fun and easy way to create a delicious Filipino dessert. With a little practice, you can perfect your technique in shaping the Bilo Bilo balls and impress your family and friends with your culinary skills.
Cooking The Bilo Bilo Balls
Once you have made the Bilo Bilo balls, it’s time to cook them. The process is simple and straightforward. Here’s how to do it:
1. In a pot, bring water to a boil.
2. Gently drop the Bilo Bilo balls into the boiling water, making sure not to overcrowd the pot.
3. Stir occasionally to prevent the balls from sticking together.
4. Cook the balls until they float to the surface, which should take about 5 minutes.
5. Once the balls are cooked, remove them from the pot using a slotted spoon or strainer and transfer them to a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process.
6. Drain the balls and set them aside until you’re ready to use them in your dessert recipe.
That’s it! Cooking Bilo Bilo balls is quick and easy, and they’re ready to be added to your favorite Filipino desserts. Whether you’re making Ginataang Bilo Bilo or Binignit, these rice flour balls will add a delicious chewy texture to your dessert.
Serving Suggestions And Recipe Ideas For Bilo Bilo Desserts
Bilo Bilo is a versatile ingredient that can be used in many different Filipino desserts. Here are some serving suggestions and recipe ideas:
1. Ginataang Bilo Bilo – This is a classic Filipino dessert that features Bilo Bilo cooked in coconut milk with sweet potatoes, plantain bananas, and tapioca pearls. Simply add your homemade Bilo Bilo to the mixture and let it cook until everything is soft and tender.
2. Binignit – Similar to Ginataang Bilo Bilo, this dessert also features coconut milk, sweet potatoes, and tapioca pearls. However, it also includes a variety of other ingredients such as jackfruit, taro root, and mung beans. Add your homemade Bilo Bilo to this flavorful mixture for a delicious and hearty dessert.
3. Palitaw – This is a simple yet tasty dessert that features flattened rice cakes coated in grated coconut and sugar. Add your homemade Bilo Bilo to the mixture for an extra chewy texture.
4. Halo-Halo – This popular Filipino dessert features a variety of ingredients such as shaved ice, evaporated milk, sweet beans, fruits, and jelly. Add your homemade Bilo Bilo to the mixture for an extra burst of flavor and texture.
5. Ube Halaya – Ube Halaya is a sweet purple yam dessert that is popular in the Philippines. Add your homemade Bilo Bilo to the mixture for an extra chewy texture that complements the smoothness of the Ube Halaya.
No matter how you choose to use your homemade Bilo Bilo, it’s sure to add a delicious and unique flavor and texture to any Filipino dessert!