Are you tired of the same old canned green enchilada sauce? Do you want to add some extra flavor and spice to your dishes?
Look no further! In this article, we’ll explore some simple tips and tricks to make your canned green enchilada sauce taste better.
From sautéing onions and garlic to adding in some jalapeños or sour cream, we’ve got you covered. Plus, we’ll share some helpful substitutions and serving suggestions to take your enchiladas to the next level.
So, let’s get started and make your canned green enchilada sauce better than ever before!
How To Make Canned Green Enchilada Sauce Better?
1. Sauté Onions and Garlic: One easy way to add more depth of flavor to your canned green enchilada sauce is by sautéing some onions and garlic in a bit of olive oil before adding the sauce. This will give your sauce a richer, more robust taste.
2. Add Some Spice: If you want to add some extra heat to your sauce, try adding in some chopped green chiles or jalapeños. This will give your enchiladas a bit of a kick and make them even more delicious.
3. Creamy Texture: For a creamier sauce, you can stir in some sour cream or Greek yogurt. This will give your enchiladas a smooth and velvety texture that is sure to please.
4. Thin It Out: If your canned green enchilada sauce is too thick, you can thin it out by adding a few tablespoons of chicken broth or water. This will make it easier to spread over your enchiladas and ensure that they cook evenly.
5. Use Cornstarch: Cornstarch is a flavorless natural thickening agent that is ideal for these types of culinary issues. However, be careful not to add too much cornstarch as it can make your sauce too thick and sticky.
6. Look for Authentic Mexican Sauces: It’s always a good idea to look for authentic Mexican sauces like old ElPaso red sauces and El Pato red sauce. These sauces have a low heat flavor that is both authentic and delicious.
Why Upgrade Your Canned Green Enchilada Sauce?
While canned green enchilada sauce is convenient, it can often lack the depth of flavor that homemade sauces have. By upgrading your canned green enchilada sauce, you can achieve a more authentic and delicious taste that will elevate your enchiladas to the next level. Adding sautéed onions and garlic, extra spice, a creamy texture, thinning it out, using cornstarch, and looking for authentic Mexican sauces are all easy ways to upgrade your canned green enchilada sauce. By taking a few extra steps, you can transform a basic canned sauce into a flavorful and satisfying addition to your enchiladas. So why settle for mediocre when you can have exceptional? Upgrade your canned green enchilada sauce today and taste the difference!
Sauté Onions And Garlic For Extra Flavor
Sautéing onions and garlic is a simple but effective way to add more depth of flavor to your canned green enchilada sauce. Start by heating a bit of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add finely chopped onions and garlic and sauté until they are soft and translucent. This will take about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Once the onions and garlic are cooked, add your canned green enchilada sauce to the pan and stir well to combine. The sautéed onions and garlic will infuse the sauce with a richer, more complex flavor that will make your enchiladas taste even better.
If you want to add some extra spice, you can also add chopped green chiles or jalapeños to the pan along with the onions and garlic. This will give your sauce a bit of a kick and make it even more flavorful.
Remember to taste your sauce and adjust the seasoning as needed before using it in your enchiladas. With this simple trick, you can easily elevate the flavor of your canned green enchilada sauce and make it taste like it was made from scratch.
Add Some Heat With Jalapeños Or Other Spices
If you’re a fan of spicy food, you can easily add some heat to your canned green enchilada sauce by incorporating jalapeños or other spices. One option is to add chopped jalapeños to your sauce, either by tossing in an extra jalapeño or by adding the seeds along with the jalapeño. This will give your sauce a nice, spicy kick that will complement the other flavors in your enchiladas.
Another option is to use other spices to add some heat. For example, you could try adding some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to your sauce. These spices will give your enchiladas a nice, fiery flavor that will wake up your taste buds.
If you’re looking for a milder option, you could try adding some green chiles to your sauce instead of jalapeños. Green chiles have a milder flavor than jalapeños, but they still add a nice depth of flavor to your sauce.
It’s important to note that when adding heat to your canned green enchilada sauce, it’s always best to start with a small amount and work your way up. This way, you can ensure that the heat level is just right for your taste buds.
Creamy Options: Sour Cream Or Cheese
One great way to make your canned green enchilada sauce creamier and more indulgent is by adding either sour cream or cheese. Both options can add a rich and creamy texture to your sauce, making it even more delicious.
If you prefer a tangy flavor, you can add sour cream to your canned green enchilada sauce. Simply stir in a dollop of sour cream into the sauce until it is well blended. The sour cream will not only add a creamy texture but also a tangy flavor that pairs well with the spicy taste of the sauce.
On the other hand, if you want a richer and cheesier taste, you can add shredded cheese to your canned green enchilada sauce. Cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Mexican blend cheese are all great options that will give your sauce a deliciously cheesy flavor. Simply sprinkle some shredded cheese over the top of the enchiladas before baking them in the oven.
If you want to make your enchiladas extra indulgent, you can even combine both sour cream and cheese for an ultimate creamy and cheesy flavor. Simply mix in some sour cream into the sauce and sprinkle some shredded cheese on top of the enchiladas before baking them in the oven.
Helpful Substitutions For A Healthier Option
If you’re looking for a healthier option for your canned green enchilada sauce, there are a few substitutions you can make. Here are some ideas:
1. Use Homemade Sauce: Making your own green enchilada sauce from scratch is a great way to control the ingredients and ensure that it is healthy. You can use fresh, whole ingredients like tomatillos, jalapeños, and cilantro to create a flavorful and nutritious sauce.
2. Use Low-Sodium Broth: If you’re using canned broth in your enchilada sauce, look for low-sodium options to reduce your sodium intake. You can also make your own broth from scratch using fresh vegetables and herbs.
3. Swap Out Cheese: Cheese is a popular ingredient in many enchilada recipes, but it can be high in fat and calories. Consider using a lower-fat cheese or skipping it altogether and adding more vegetables or protein instead.
4. Add Vegetables: Adding more vegetables to your enchiladas is an easy way to make them healthier. Try adding diced bell peppers, onions, or spinach to your filling for extra nutrients and flavor.
5. Use Whole Wheat Tortillas: Instead of using traditional white flour tortillas, opt for whole wheat tortillas for a healthier option. They are higher in fiber and protein and have a lower glycemic index.
By making these simple substitutions, you can enjoy delicious and healthy green enchiladas that are sure to satisfy your cravings.
Serving Suggestions To Enhance Your Meal Experience
Now that you have made your canned green enchilada sauce better, it’s time to think about how to enhance your meal experience. Here are some serving suggestions that will take your enchiladas to the next level:
1. Add Some Toppings: Top your enchiladas with some fresh ingredients like chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, or sliced avocado. These toppings will not only add color and texture to your dish but also provide additional flavors that complement the sauce.
2. Serve with Rice and Beans: Enchiladas are traditionally served with rice and beans. You can make a simple side dish of Mexican rice by cooking rice with tomato sauce, garlic, and spices like cumin and chili powder. For the beans, you can use either black beans or refried beans.
3. Make a Salad: A simple salad is a great way to balance out the richness of the enchiladas. You can make a salad with chopped lettuce, tomatoes, and onions, and dress it with lime juice and olive oil.
4. Pair with a Margarita: A classic margarita is the perfect drink to pair with enchiladas. The citrusy and tangy flavors of the margarita complement the spicy and savory flavors of the enchiladas.
5. Dessert: Finish off your meal with a sweet treat like flan or churros. These traditional Mexican desserts are the perfect way to end a spicy and flavorful meal.
By following these serving suggestions, you can create a complete meal that is both delicious and satisfying. So, go ahead and enjoy your homemade canned green enchilada sauce with these amazing serving ideas!