Are you considering making the switch to almond milk?
With its numerous health benefits and eco-friendly production, it’s no wonder that more and more people are opting for this plant-based alternative.
But with so many brands on the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one. Fear not, we’ve done the research for you!
In this article, we’ll explore the best almond milk options available in Australia. From nutritional value to taste and texture, we’ll cover all the factors that make a great almond milk.
So sit back, relax, and let’s find out which brand reigns supreme in the world of almond milk.
What Is The Best Almond Milk In Australia?
After thorough research and customer reviews, we have found that the best almond milk in Australia is Almond Breeze Unsweetened Barista Edition.
This brand has received high praise for its taste, texture, and nutritional value. With 2.5% almonds and 168kJ per 250ml, it’s a great source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Not only is Almond Breeze Unsweetened Barista Edition nutritious, but it’s also environmentally friendly. Almonds are a biodiverse crop and require less water than other nuts and grains, making it a sustainable choice.
Benefits Of Almond Milk
Almond milk is a healthy alternative to dairy milk, and it offers numerous benefits for your health. Here are some of the benefits of almond milk:
1. Low in calories: Almond milk is low in calories, with only 14-28 calories per 100 ml. This makes it an excellent choice for anyone who wants to maintain a healthy weight.
2. Good for your heart: Almond milk is low in fat, and the little fat it contains is the healthy kind (unsaturated). This helps to keep your cholesterol levels down, reducing the risk of heart disease.
3. Suitable for people with lactose intolerance: Almond milk is dairy-free, making it an excellent substitute for people who are lactose intolerant.
4. High in essential nutrients: Almond milk is naturally high in several essential nutrients, including calcium, potassium, magnesium, and vitamin E. These nutrients help to keep your body healthy and functioning properly.
5. Low glycemic index: Almond milk has a low glycemic index, which means it’s less likely to cause blood sugar spikes. This makes it an ideal choice for people with diabetes or anyone who wants to maintain stable blood sugar levels.
6. Good for your bones: Many commercial brands of almond milk are fortified with calcium and vitamin D, which are essential for healthy bones. Drinking almond milk is an easy way to boost your intake of these nutrients and take care of your bone health.
7. Rich in antioxidants: Almond milk is rich in antioxidants, which protect your body from harmful molecules called free radicals. These antioxidants can help prevent mild infections and even cancer.
8. Suitable for vegans: Almond milk is a plant-based drink, making it suitable for people who follow a vegan diet.
Factors To Consider When Choosing Almond Milk
When choosing almond milk, there are several factors to consider to ensure that you are getting the best product for your health and lifestyle. Here are some of the most important factors to consider:
1. Almond Content: The amount of almonds in almond milk can vary greatly from brand to brand. Look for a product with a higher almond content, ideally around 2.5% or higher.
2. Protein Content: Almonds are a good source of protein, so it’s important to check the protein content on the nutrition label. A good rule of thumb is that a product made from 10% almonds should contain close to 2g protein per 100mL.
3. Calcium and Vitamin Content: Almond milk can be fortified with calcium and vitamins, so check the nutrition label to ensure that you are getting enough of these important nutrients.
4. Added Sugars: Some almond milks can be high in added sugars, which can negate some of the health benefits of the product. Look for an unsweetened or low-sugar option.
5. Carrageenan: Some brands of almond milk (and other dairy products) contain Carrageenan, which has been linked to gastrointestinal inflammation. Look for brands that are Carrageenan-free.
6. Sustainability: Consider the environmental impact of the product, including where it is sourced and how it is produced. Almonds are a biodiverse crop and require less water than other nuts and grains, making it a sustainable choice.
By considering these factors when choosing almond milk, you can ensure that you are getting a product that is both nutritious and environmentally friendly.
Top Almond Milk Brands In Australia
Apart from Almond Breeze Unsweetened Barista Edition, there are other top-rated almond milk brands in Australia that are worth considering.
Pureharvest Activated Almond Milk Organic Unsweetened Original is another great option with 7% almonds, which is more than double the amount found in many other brands. This brand has a unique nutty flavor and is perfect for those who prefer organic and unsweetened options.
For those who are looking for a carrageenan-free option, So Good Almond Milk Unsweetened is a good choice. This brand is fortified with calcium and vitamin D, making it a healthy choice for those who are conscious about their nutrient intake.
Almond Dream is also a good option for those who still prefer carrageenan in their almond milk. This brand has received positive reviews for its creamy texture and nutty flavor.
Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almondmilk is another popular brand in Australia. This brand is fortified with 45% of the daily value of calcium and 25% of the daily value of vitamin D. It’s also affordable and widely available in most grocery stores.
Nutritional Comparison Of Almond Milk Brands
When it comes to choosing the best almond milk brand, it’s important to consider the nutritional value of each option. Many almond milk brands fortify their products with vitamins and minerals to mimic the nutritional profile of dairy milk. Here’s a breakdown of the nutritional value of some popular almond milk brands:
1. Almond Breeze: This brand is fortified with calcium and vitamin E, making it a good source of these nutrients. It also has a low calorie count and is low in sugar.
2. Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Extra Creamy: This brand is known for its thick and creamy texture, which makes it a great alternative to whole-fat cow’s milk. It’s also fortified with calcium and vitamin D.
3. Califia Farms: This brand is made from whole almonds, which gives it a rich and nutty flavor. It’s fortified with calcium and vitamin D, making it a good source of these nutrients.
4. Silk: This brand is fortified with calcium, vitamin D, and vitamin E. It’s also low in calories and sugar.
5. So Good: This brand is fortified with calcium and vitamin D, making it a good source of these nutrients. It also has a low calorie count and is low in sugar.
Ultimately, the best almond milk brand for you will depend on your personal nutritional needs and taste preferences. However, Almond Breeze Unsweetened Barista Edition stands out as a top pick due to its high almond content, low calorie count, and sustainable production methods.
Eco-friendly Production Of Almond Milk
While almond milk is a popular plant-based milk alternative, its production can have negative environmental impacts. However, there are ways to produce almond milk in an eco-friendly manner.
One key factor to consider is water usage. Almond trees require a lot of water, and in water-scarce areas like California, the high demand for water in almond production has raised concerns. To address this issue, some almond milk producers are using more efficient irrigation systems and implementing water-saving practices.
Another environmental concern with almond production is the use of pesticides, which can harm bees and other pollinators. To avoid this, some almond milk producers are using organic farming methods and avoiding the use of harmful chemicals.
Additionally, some almond milk companies are taking steps to reduce their carbon footprint by sourcing their almonds from local farmers and using renewable energy sources in their production facilities.
It’s important to note that not all almond milk brands are created equal when it comes to eco-friendliness. Consumers should do their research and choose brands that prioritize sustainability and environmental responsibility in their production processes.