Are you looking for a dairy-free yogurt alternative that is easy to make at home?
Look no further than oat milk yogurt! With the help of an Instant Pot, you can create a creamy and delicious yogurt that is perfect for breakfast, snacks, or even as a base for sauces and dips.
In this article, we will explore different recipes and techniques for making oat milk yogurt in an Instant Pot. Whether you are a seasoned yogurt maker or a beginner, this guide will provide you with all the information you need to create a tasty and healthy yogurt that everyone will love.
So, grab your Instant Pot and let’s get started!
How To Make Oat Milk Yogurt Instant Pot?
There are several different methods for making oat milk yogurt in an Instant Pot, but we will focus on three popular recipes.
Why Choose Oat Milk Yogurt?
Oat milk yogurt is a great option for those who are looking for a plant-based alternative to traditional dairy yogurt. Oat yogurt is low-sugar, high-fiber, lactose-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, and low-fat. This makes it an ideal choice for those who are trying to lose weight or maintain a healthy diet. Oat yogurt is also a good source of protein and fiber, which can provide energy and help you feel full. Additionally, the high soluble fiber content in oat yogurt, along with the probiotics, can improve digestion and metabolism rate in your body. This means that oat yogurt can potentially help you lose weight when combined with a healthy diet and exercise routine.
Compared to other plant-based milks, oat milk has a naturally creamy finish and comes with more fiber and protein. This makes it an ideal choice for culturing into yogurt. Oat milk is also one of the easiest and quickest plant-based milks to make at home, which means that homemade oat milk yogurt is made with 100% natural ingredients and doesn’t even require a thickener to achieve a perfect yogurt-like texture. Making it at home nutritionally outstrips anything you will buy plus, you have control over the flavor, thickness, and tartness.
Equipment And Ingredients Needed
Before you begin making oat milk yogurt in an Instant Pot, you will need to gather some essential equipment and ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
1. Instant Pot: You will need an Instant Pot with a “yogurt” setting. This setting is essential for the fermentation process that turns the oat milk into yogurt.
2. Oat Milk: You will need unsweetened oat milk to make oat milk yogurt. You can make your own oat milk by blending rolled oats and water and then straining the mixture, or you can purchase pre-made oat milk from the store.
3. Yogurt Starter Culture: You will need a yogurt starter culture to add to the oat milk. This culture contains live bacteria that will ferment and thicken the oat milk, turning it into yogurt. You can use non-dairy yogurt like coconut yogurt or vegan yogurt starter cultures like gelatin or agar-agar.
4. Xanthan Gum: If you are using an Instant Pot to make oat milk yogurt, you will need xanthan gum to help thicken the mixture.
5. Thermometer: A thermometer is necessary to monitor the temperature of the oat milk during the fermentation process.
6. Mesh Strainer: A mesh strainer is needed to strain the rolled oats if you are making your own oat milk.
7. Funnel: A funnel is helpful for pouring the oat milk into jars or containers for fermentation.
By gathering these essential equipment and ingredients, you will be well on your way to making delicious and creamy oat milk yogurt in your Instant Pot.
Step-by-Step Instructions For Making Oat Milk Yogurt In The Instant Pot
Making oat milk yogurt in an Instant Pot is a simple and easy process that requires just a few ingredients and some patience. Here are the step-by-step instructions for making oat milk yogurt in an Instant Pot:
1. Begin by pouring oat milk into the Instant Pot. If you want to make a thicker yogurt, whisk in some xanthan gum to form a smooth and thickened mixture.
2. Set the Instant Pot to the “yogurt, high temperature” setting and let the oat milk come to 180 degrees Fahrenheit (82C). Whisk it often so no skin forms across the top.
3. Remove the inner pot of the Instant Pot from the heat when it reaches the right temperature. Let the oat milk cool on the counter to 105-110F (40.6-43.3C), whisking occasionally.
4. After cooling, remove one cup of milk and add in the yogurt, whisking until smooth. Then whisk this yogurt mixture back into the larger pot of milk, and put the inner pot back in the Instant Pot.
5. Put the lid on the Instant Pot but leave the vent open. Incubate oat yogurt for 9 hours using the “low yogurt” setting of the Instant Pot. (This is the “ferment” setting on the Ninja Foodi.)
6. After the incubation period, put the yogurt in a glass mason jar with a lid. Refrigerate the oat yogurt overnight, and enjoy.
7. If you want a tangier yogurt, you can incubate it for up to 24 hours. The longer you incubate it, the more tart it will become.
8. If you notice any separation after fermenting, simply stir it back in gently. The xanthan gum should help prevent it from separating too much.
9. Remember to pay attention to temperature throughout this process as it is crucial for success.
Making oat milk yogurt in an Instant Pot is a great way to enjoy a delicious and healthy dairy-free yogurt at home with minimal effort. With these step-by-step instructions, you can easily make your own oat milk yogurt in an Instant Pot and enjoy its creamy texture and tangy flavor at any time of day!
Tips For Achieving The Perfect Texture And Flavor
When making oat milk yogurt in an Instant Pot, achieving the perfect texture and flavor can be a bit tricky. Here are some tips to help you get it just right:
1. Pay attention to temperature: Keeping the oat milk at the right temperature throughout the process is crucial for success. Make sure to heat it up to 180 degrees Fahrenheit (82C) before cooling it down to 105-110F (40.6-43.3C) for adding the probiotic or yogurt starter.
2. Use a thickener: Oat milk on its own won’t thicken up like regular yogurt, so it’s important to add a thickener like gelatin or agar-agar. Sprinkle it over the surface of the oat milk and allow it to dissolve before whisking it in.
3. Whisk often: Whether you’re making oat milk yogurt on the stovetop or in an Instant Pot, whisking often is key to preventing a skin from forming across the top.
4. Ferment for the right amount of time: The longer you let your oat milk yogurt ferment, the tangier it will become and the more probiotics it will have. However, be mindful not to over-ferment, as this can cause the yogurt to separate and become too sour.
5. Chill before serving: To achieve a thick and creamy texture, make sure to chill your oat milk yogurt for at least 3 hours before serving.
By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to making delicious and creamy oat milk yogurt in your Instant Pot. Experiment with different ratios and flavors to find your perfect recipe!
Flavor Variations And Serving Suggestions
Once you have mastered the art of making oat milk yogurt in your Instant Pot, you may want to experiment with different flavor variations to add some excitement to your breakfast or snack time. Here are some ideas to get you started:
1. Vanilla: Add a few drops of vanilla extract before or after incubation to give your oat milk yogurt a sweet and fragrant flavor.
2. Coconut: Add a teaspoon of coconut extract or a tablespoon of shredded coconut to give your yogurt a tropical twist.
3. Cinnamon: Sprinkle some cinnamon on top of your oat milk yogurt for a warm and comforting flavor.
4. Honey: Drizzle some honey on top of your yogurt for a natural sweetener that pairs well with the creamy texture of the oat milk.
5. Fruit: Top your oat milk yogurt with fresh berries, sliced bananas, or diced mango for a burst of fruity flavor and added nutrition.
As for serving suggestions, oat milk yogurt can be enjoyed plain, topped with granola or nuts for crunch, or as a base for smoothie bowls. You can also use it as a substitute for sour cream in savory dishes like tacos or baked potatoes.
With these flavor variations and serving suggestions, you can create a variety of delicious and healthy oat milk yogurt dishes that will satisfy your taste buds and nourish your body.
Storing And Using Oat Milk Yogurt
Oat milk yogurt is a perishable food that requires refrigeration, even when it is unopened. The store-bought sealed oat yogurt has a longer shelf compared to homemade yogurt. However, you will need to check the expiry date before its usage. Although the date label is not precise, it helps to identify the freshness and best quality. It is important to note that the shelf-life or shelf-stability of oat yogurt can be stored for up to 7 days once the container has been opened. These are manufacturer recommendations and not concrete facts, so it’s always best to rely on your senses to look, smell and then taste before consuming.
If you want to extend the shelf-life of your oat milk yogurt, you can try freezing it. To do this, transfer the yogurt into an airtight container and leave some headspace for expansion during freezing. When ready to use, thaw the yogurt in the refrigerator overnight and give it a good stir before serving.
It’s important to remember that homemade oat milk yogurt may not have the same consistency or shelf-life as store-bought options. However, there are a few tricks you can try to make your vegan yogurt thicker and denser. Increasing the fat content by adding a few tablespoons of canola oil to the oat milk before heating it can help make the yogurt creamier. Additionally, keeping the milk at 85°C (185°F) for 10 to 20 minutes will help proteins denature better, resulting in a thicker consistency. If you prefer a thicker result, you can also add more starch by sifting it and whisking it in a bit of cold milk before adding it to the milk in the pot.