Are you trying to cut down on your sugar intake but still want to enjoy a drink or two?
Look no further than pure forms of alcohol like whiskey, gin, tequila, rum, and vodka. These spirits contain no added sugar, making them a great option for those on the hunt for sugar-free alcoholic drinks.
However, it’s important to keep in mind that mixers can add unwanted sugar and calories to your drink. In this article, we’ll explore the best low-sugar alcoholic drinks and provide tips on how to enjoy them without compromising your health goals.
So, grab a glass and let’s dive in!
What Alcoholic Drink Has No Sugar?
As mentioned above, pure forms of alcohol like whiskey, gin, tequila, rum, and vodka are all completely sugar-free. This means that all of the calories in these drinks come from alcohol alone.
For example, a standard 1.5-ounce shot of tequila has 97 calories, according to the USDA. Similarly, a standard 1.5-ounce shot of whiskey has around 105 calories.
It’s important to note that while these drinks are sugar-free, they still contain calories and carbohydrates on their own. So, it’s best to consume them in moderation and within the recommended range of moderate drinking.
The Sugar Content Of Popular Alcoholic Drinks
While pure forms of alcohol like whiskey, gin, tequila, rum, and vodka are completely sugar-free, many popular alcoholic drinks contain added sugar in the form of mixers. For example, juice, soda, and simple syrup are all high in sugar and can quickly add up in calorie count.
Beer and wine also contain varying amounts of sugar. However, red and white wines can be low in sugar as long as there is no added fruit or sugar content.
For those looking for sugar-free alcoholic options beyond pure spirits, hard seltzers like Crook and Marker are spiked sparkling beverages made with organic alcohol and zero sugar. They are less than 1 gram of net carbs, naturally gluten-free, non-GMO and vegan.
Additionally, several brands are now offering clear alternatives to sweet, flavored alcoholic drinks. For instance, CLEAR88 is a sugar-free vodka that provides distilled spirits with tasteful drinks.
Pure Forms Of Alcohol: The Best Low-Sugar Options
If you’re looking for low-sugar options when it comes to alcoholic drinks, pure forms of alcohol like whiskey, gin, tequila, rum, and vodka are your best bet. These drinks are free of added sugars and sweetening agents, making them ideal for those who want to reduce their sugar intake.
One of the benefits of these hard alcohols is that they are also low in calorie content. Due to their high alcohol volume and small serving size, they contain fewer calories than other sugary drinks. For example, a vodka soda is one of the lowest-calorie mixed drinks around, with only 133 calories and 0 grams of carbs in a 7.5-ounce serving.
It’s important to remember that while these pure forms of alcohol are sugar-free, the mixers you use can add unwanted sugar and calories to your drink. Fruit juices and fizzy drinks like coke are popular mixers but are likely to add sugar to your drink without you even noticing. Instead, opt for soda water with a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime or use light tonic water to keep your sugar levels at their lowest.
How To Enjoy Low-Sugar Alcoholic Drinks
If you’re looking to enjoy low-sugar alcoholic drinks, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, stick to pure forms of alcohol like whiskey, gin, tequila, rum, and vodka. These drinks have no added sugar and are a great option for those looking to cut back on their sugar intake.
When it comes to mixers, avoid sugary options like juices, sour mixes, and premade cocktail mixers. Instead, opt for soda water with a squeeze of citrus fruit. This will add flavor without adding sugar or calories.
If you’re a wine drinker, look for wines with a lower ABV than 13.5% and avoid sweet wines labeled as “Dessert,” “Dolce,” “Port,” “Ice,” “Spatlese,” “Moscato,” and “Demi Sec.” A typical glass of wine is around five ounces, so consider filling up a glass with four ounces of dry wine to cut back on your sugar intake.
For mixed drinks, stick to simple two-ingredient combinations like Lyre’s Skinny Margarita or a Long Island Iced Tea made with sugar-free sweetener and no sugar cola. These drinks are low in sugar and easy to make at home.
Remember to always drink responsibly and within the recommended range of moderate drinking. By making smart choices and being mindful of your sugar intake, you can enjoy low-sugar alcoholic drinks without sacrificing flavor or fun.
Sugar-Free Mixers To Try
If you’re looking to add some flavor to your sugar-free alcoholic drinks, there are plenty of mixers that you can try. Here are some suggestions:
1. Club soda: This is a classic mixer that pairs well with almost any type of alcohol. It’s also sugar-free and low in calories.
2. Fresh citrus juice: Lemon, lime, and grapefruit juice are all great options for adding flavor to your drinks without adding sugar. Just make sure to use fresh juice rather than pre-made mixes, which often contain added sugars.
3. Diet soda: If you’re craving something sweet, diet soda can be a good option. Just make sure to choose a sugar-free variety.
4. Herbal tea: Brewed herbal tea can add a unique flavor to your drinks without adding any sugar or calories. Try steeping some mint or chamomile tea and mixing it with vodka or gin.
5. Bitters: Bitters are a concentrated blend of herbs and spices that can add complexity and depth to your drinks without adding any sugar. Just be sure to use them sparingly, as they can be quite potent.
By using these mixers, you can create a variety of delicious and refreshing sugar-free cocktails that you can enjoy guilt-free.
Tips For Making Low-Sugar Cocktails At Home
If you’re looking to enjoy a low-sugar cocktail at home, there are a few tips and tricks you can follow:
1. Choose mixers wisely: As mentioned above, it’s the mixers that often contain added sugar. So, when making a cocktail, choose mixers that don’t have additional sugary ingredients. For example, opt for seltzer, light juice, or diet soda instead of regular soda or juice.
2. Use sugar-free sweeteners: If you want to add some sweetness to your cocktail, consider using sugar-free sweeteners like stevia or monk fruit extract instead of regular sugar or simple syrup.
3. Experiment with fresh ingredients: Instead of relying on pre-made mixers and syrups, experiment with fresh ingredients like citrus fruits, herbs, and spices to add flavor to your cocktails.
4. Stick to low-calorie spirits: If you’re trying to cut down on calories, stick to low-calorie spirits like vodka or gin. You can pair them with a low-sugar mixer like seltzer and add some flavor with fresh ingredients.
5. Be mindful of portion sizes: Remember that even low-sugar cocktails still contain calories and carbohydrates. So, be mindful of portion sizes and don’t overindulge.
By following these tips, you can enjoy a delicious and low-sugar cocktail at home without sacrificing flavor or fun.
Conclusion: Sipping On Sugar-Free Drinks
When it comes to choosing a low-sugar alcoholic drink, it’s important to pay attention to the mixers. Juices, sodas, and simple syrups are all high in sugar and can quickly add up in calories. Instead, opt for mixers that don’t contain additional sugary ingredients, such as seltzer, light juice, or diet soda.
If you’re looking for an even lower sugar option, consider using low-calorie sweeteners (LCS) in your cocktails. These sweeteners contain few to no calories and can help reduce your overall sugar intake. However, the health effects of LCS are still inconclusive and more research is needed.
It’s also worth noting that sugar-free cocktails may have a faster effect on your bloodstream. A study found that artificial sweeteners in diet mixers can increase how quickly alcohol hits the bloodstream, meaning you may feel the effects of the alcohol faster. As always, it’s important to practice safe drinking habits and consume alcohol in moderation.