Are you a fan of gummy candies but want to avoid the corn syrup commonly found in store-bought versions?
Look no further! Making your own gummies at home is easier than you might think, and you can customize the flavors and sweetness to your liking.
In this article, we’ll explore different methods for making gummies without corn syrup, using natural sweeteners like fruit juice and monkfruit sweetener.
Whether you’re a seasoned candy maker or a beginner, these recipes are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth without any added corn syrup.
So let’s get started!
How To Make Gummies Without Corn Syrup?
There are several ways to make gummies without corn syrup, and we’ll cover a few of them here.
One method is to use fruit juice as the sweetener. Simply mix gelatin and powdered monkfruit sweetener with your favorite fruit juice and let it sit until the dry ingredients are absorbed. Then, cook the mixture on medium-low heat until the gelatin is fully dissolved and the liquid is clear. Pour the mixture into greased molds or a pan and let it cool until firm.
Another option is to use natural syrups like Yacon, Sorghum, or Maple syrup. Combine granulated sugar, gelatin, and flavored liquid in a heat-proof container and let it sit for 5 minutes to allow the gelatin to bloom. Microwave the mixture in short increments until the gelatin is fully melted, then add in your syrup and candy flavoring. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes to allow any foam to collect at the top, then pour it into greased molds and let it chill for at least an hour before removing.
If you prefer a sour gummy flavor, you can add citric acid to either of these recipes.
Finally, you can make gummies using flavored Jello and unflavored gelatin. Mix the two together with water and heat on low-medium heat until fully dissolved. Use a dropper to place the mixture into molds and let it cool for 5-10 minutes before coating with cornstarch and refrigerating until fully set.
The Problem With Corn Syrup In Gummies
Corn syrup is a common ingredient in gummies because it provides a chewy texture and sweetness without adding a lot of water. However, some people prefer to avoid corn syrup due to concerns about its impact on health. Corn syrup is a highly processed sweetener made from corn starch. It is often high in fructose, which has been linked to various health issues such as obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease.
In addition to health concerns, corn syrup can also cause problems with gummy texture and shelf life. If too much corn syrup is used, the gummies may become too sticky or soft, leading to issues with sticking together or melting in warm temperatures. On the other hand, if too little corn syrup is used, the gummies may become too hard or dry, leading to a less enjoyable eating experience.
Fortunately, there are many alternatives to corn syrup that can be used in gummy recipes. Some of these alternatives include natural sweeteners like fruit juice or natural syrups, as well as artificial sweeteners like monkfruit sweetener. By experimenting with different ingredients and ratios, it is possible to create delicious and healthy gummies without relying on corn syrup.
Natural Sweeteners For Homemade Gummies
When it comes to making homemade gummies without corn syrup, natural sweeteners are a great alternative. One option is to use powdered monkfruit sweetener, which is a natural sweetener made from the monkfruit plant. It is a zero-calorie sweetener that is much sweeter than sugar, so only a small amount is needed. Another option is to use natural syrups like Yacon, Sorghum, or Maple syrup. These syrups are less processed than corn syrup and contain essential minerals and vitamins.
When using natural sweeteners, it’s important to note that the sweetness level may vary depending on the type and brand of sweetener used. It’s best to start with a small amount and adjust to taste as needed. Also, keep in mind that these sweeteners may have a distinct flavor that can affect the overall taste of the gummies.
Using natural sweeteners not only makes your homemade gummies healthier but also adds a unique flavor profile that you can customize to your liking. Experiment with different combinations of fruit juice, natural sweeteners, and flavors to create your perfect gummy recipe.
Recipe 1: Fruit Juice Gummies
Fruit Juice Gummies are a fun and healthy alternative to traditional gummy snacks. To make these gummies without corn syrup, you’ll need just two ingredients: fruit juice and unflavored gelatin. Begin by heating 1 cup of your favorite fruit juice until warm (but not boiling), then whisk in 2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin and 2 tablespoons of powdered monkfruit sweetener. Once fully combined, pour the mixture into greased molds or a pan and refrigerate until firm.
To add a sour flavor to your gummies, you can also add 1/4 teaspoon of citric acid to the mixture. Simply mix it in with the gelatin and sweetener before adding it to the warm fruit juice.
These gummies are not only easy to make, but they’re also customizable. You can experiment with different fruit juice flavors and colors to create your own unique gummy snacks. Plus, since they’re made with natural ingredients and contain protein from the gelatin, they make the perfect guilt-free treat anytime.
Recipe 2: Monkfruit Sweetened Gummies
If you’re looking for a low-carb, keto-friendly option for gummies, monkfruit sweetener is a great alternative to traditional sugar. Here’s how to make monkfruit sweetened gummies:
– 2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
– 1 cup of fruit juice of choice, divided into half
– 2 tbsp powdered monkfruit sweetener
– 3 tbsp Yacon Syrup, or Sorghum Syrup, or Maple Syrup
– *1/4 tsp citric acid (for sour gummy bears)
– *4-6 drops of essential oil
1. Bloom gelatin. Sprinkle gelatin powder into the bowl of half of the fruit juice and whisk immediately before it sets. Set aside.
2. Heat remaining half of the fruit juice in a saucepan until it comes to a simmer.
3. Add in the monkfruit sweetener and stir until dissolved.
4. Add in your choice of syrup (Yacon, Sorghum, or Maple) and stir until fully combined.
5. Add in the bloomed gelatin and stir until fully dissolved.
6. If making sour gummy bears, add in citric acid at this point and stir until fully combined.
7. Add in essential oil for flavoring, if desired.
8. Pour the mixture into greased molds or a pan and let it cool until firm.
These monkfruit sweetened gummies are a delicious and healthy snack that you can enjoy without any guilt! Plus, they’re easy to customize with different flavors and shapes. Give them a try and see how delicious sugar-free gummies can be!
Tips For Making Perfect Gummies At Home
Making gummies at home can be a fun and rewarding experience, but it can also be tricky to get the perfect texture and flavor. Here are some tips to help you make the perfect gummies:
1. Use high-quality ingredients: For the best results, use high-quality gelatin, natural sweeteners, and fresh fruit juices. This will ensure that your gummies have a great flavor and texture.
2. Don’t overheat the mixture: Overheating the mixture can cause the gelatin to break down and result in gummies that are too soft or sticky. Be sure to heat the mixture on low-medium heat and stir continuously until fully dissolved.
3. Let the mixture cool before pouring into molds: Pouring hot liquid into molds can cause them to warp or melt. Be sure to let the mixture cool for a few minutes before pouring it into your molds.
4. Coat your molds with oil or non-stick spray: This will help your gummies release from the molds easily and prevent sticking.
5. Chill your gummies for at least an hour: Chilling your gummies will help them set and firm up. Be sure to refrigerate them for at least an hour before removing them from the molds.
6. Store your gummies properly: Homemade gummies don’t contain preservatives like store-bought candy, so they may not last as long. Be sure to store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to make perfect gummies at home without corn syrup!
Conclusion: Enjoy Your Homemade Gummies Without Corn Syrup
While corn syrup is often used in gummy recipes to provide body and sweetness, there are several alternatives that can be used instead. By using natural sweeteners like fruit juice and natural syrups, you can create homemade gummies that are just as delicious without the added corn syrup. Additionally, using flavored Jello and unflavored gelatin is another option for making gummies without corn syrup. With these alternative methods, you can enjoy your favorite candy without worrying about consuming too much corn syrup. So go ahead and give these recipes a try and enjoy your homemade gummies without corn syrup!