Are you tired of the same old alcoholic beverages and looking for something new to try?
Look no further than cold-brewed sugar alcohol!
This trendy new alcohol base is made by fermenting sugar from cane, beet, or maize, resulting in a colorless, gluten-free, low-calorie, and flavor-neutral base that can be mixed with virtually any other flavors.
In this article, we’ll explore the process of making cold-brewed sugar alcohol and provide some delicious recipes to try at home.
So grab your ingredients and let’s get brewing!
How To Make Cold Brewed Sugar Alcohol?
Making cold-brewed sugar alcohol is a simple process that can be done at home with just a few ingredients and some patience.
First, you’ll need to gather your supplies. You’ll need cane sugar, water, and yeast. You can also add flavorings such as fruit or spices if desired.
To start, combine the sugar and water in a large pot and heat until the sugar dissolves. Let the mixture cool to room temperature before adding the yeast. Stir well to combine.
Next, transfer the mixture to a large glass jar or container with a lid. Cover the jar with a cheesecloth or coffee filter and secure with a rubber band. This will allow air to flow in and out while keeping out any debris or bugs.
Place the jar in a cool, dark place and let it ferment for 3-5 days. You’ll know it’s ready when it stops bubbling and smells slightly sweet and alcoholic.
Once the fermentation process is complete, strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth to remove any solids. Your cold-brewed sugar alcohol is now ready to use in cocktails or other beverages.
What Is Cold-brewed Sugar Alcohol?
Cold-brewed sugar alcohol is a type of alcohol base that has become increasingly popular in the beverage industry. It is produced by fermenting sugar from cane, beet, or corn, and is commonly referred to as “sugar-brew.” The process involves fermenting cane sugar juice and concentrating it, similar to how barley malt base is created for traditional beer. The main difference between the two is that sugar-brew is colorless, gluten-free, low in calories, and flavor-neutral. This makes it an ideal base for alcoholic beverages that can be marketed as gluten-free and low-calorie. Sugar-brews are also cost-effective compared to traditional alcohol bases and can be used as a canvas for formulating various flavors. Overall, cold-brewed sugar alcohol offers a unique alternative to traditional grain-based alcohol bases and has become a popular trend in the ready-to-drink alcohol market.
The Benefits Of Using Sugar Alcohol As A Base For Cocktails
Using sugar alcohol as a base for cocktails has several benefits. First, sugar alcohol is gluten-free, making it a great option for those with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease. Additionally, sugar alcohol is low in calories, making it a healthier alternative to traditional cocktail bases like grain-based alcohols.
Sugar alcohol also has a neutral flavor, allowing it to mix well with virtually any other flavors. This makes it a versatile option for creating a wide variety of cocktails.
Another advantage of using sugar alcohol as a base is its affordability. Of all the fermented bases, sugar is the most affordable, making it a cost-effective option for those looking to make their own cocktails at home.
How To Make Cold-brewed Sugar Alcohol At Home
Making cold-brewed sugar alcohol at home is a great way to experiment with new flavors and create unique cocktails. Here’s a step-by-step guide to making your own:
1. Gather your supplies. You’ll need cane sugar, water, and yeast. You can also add flavorings such as fruit or spices if desired.
2. Combine the sugar and water in a large pot and heat until the sugar dissolves. Let the mixture cool to room temperature before adding the yeast. Stir well to combine.
3. Transfer the mixture to a large glass jar or container with a lid. Cover the jar with a cheesecloth or coffee filter and secure with a rubber band. This will allow air to flow in and out while keeping out any debris or bugs.
4. Place the jar in a cool, dark place and let it ferment for 3-5 days. You’ll know it’s ready when it stops bubbling and smells slightly sweet and alcoholic.
5. Once the fermentation process is complete, strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth to remove any solids.
6. Your cold-brewed sugar alcohol is now ready to use in cocktails or other beverages. You can experiment with different flavorings and mixers to create your own signature drinks.
It’s important to note that making alcohol at home can be dangerous if not done properly. Be sure to follow all safety guidelines and use caution when handling and consuming your homemade creations.
Tips For Perfecting Your Cold-brewed Sugar Alcohol
If you want to take your cold-brewed sugar alcohol to the next level, here are some tips to help you perfect your recipe:
1. Use high-quality ingredients: The quality of your ingredients will have a significant impact on the final product. Use organic cane sugar and filtered water for the best results.
2. Experiment with different yeast strains: While most yeast strains will work for cold-brewed sugar alcohol, some may produce different flavors or aromas. Try experimenting with different strains to find the one that works best for you.
3. Add flavorings during fermentation: If you want to add flavor to your cold-brewed sugar alcohol, consider adding fruit or spices during the fermentation process. This will infuse the alcohol with additional flavors and aromas.
4. Control the temperature: Yeast is sensitive to temperature, so it’s important to keep your mixture at a consistent temperature throughout the fermentation process. Aim for a temperature between 70-75°F for best results.
5. Let it age: Just like wine or whiskey, cold-brewed sugar alcohol can benefit from aging. Letting it sit in a cool, dark place for a few weeks can help mellow out any harsh flavors and create a smoother finished product.
By following these tips, you can create a delicious and unique cold-brewed sugar alcohol that is perfect for sipping on its own or using in cocktails. Experimentation is key, so don’t be afraid to try new things and see what works best for you.
Delicious Recipes To Try With Your Cold-brewed Sugar Alcohol
If you’re wondering what to do with your freshly made cold-brewed sugar alcohol, here are some delicious cocktail recipes to try:
1. Spicy Cold Brew Cocktail: This bold and adventurous cocktail combines spicy rye, sweet vermouth, and rich cold-brewed sugar alcohol for a fascinatingly complex drink. Simply stir the ingredients together, top with lemon zest and fresh thyme, and serve in a small cocktail glass.
2. Cold Brew Martini: A more convenient alternative to the classic Espresso Martini, this cocktail delivers the same ultra-caffeinated, rich coffee flavor without all the fancy machinery. Combine equal parts vodka, coffee cream liqueur, and cold-brewed sugar alcohol in a cocktail shaker for an elegant and energizing drink.
3. Cold Brew Coconut Cocktail: This refreshing tropical twist on a classic coffee cocktail combines cold-brewed sugar alcohol with coconut water and reduced tonic water for a fizzy and flavorful drink. Shake with ice and mint leaves, strain, and garnish with more mint leaves.
4. Cinnamon Apple Cold Brew: This cozy and comforting fall-inspired drink adds cinnamon and sliced apples to your cold-brewed sugar alcohol for a warm and spicy flavor. Top with filtered water and a splash of apple juice for sweetness.
5. Coffee Liqueur: If you’re looking for a versatile ingredient to use in all kinds of cocktails, try making your own coffee liqueur with your cold-brewed sugar alcohol. Brew a strong espresso shot, add sugar, vodka, and other ingredients to make your liqueur, then enjoy in a variety of drinks.