Are you tired of bland, boring roasted potatoes?
Do you want to take your spuds to the next level with a delicious seasoning blend?
Look no further!
We’ve scoured the internet and compiled some of the best tips and tricks for seasoning your roasted potatoes.
From classic herbs like thyme and rosemary to spicy additions like smoked paprika and cayenne pepper, there are endless possibilities for creating the perfect flavor profile.
Whether you’re a seasoned pro in the kitchen or a beginner cook, this article will provide you with all the information you need to make perfectly seasoned roasted potatoes every time.
So grab your potatoes and let’s get cooking!
What Is A Good Seasoning For Roasted Potatoes?
When it comes to seasoning roasted potatoes, there are a few key spices and herbs that can take your dish from ordinary to extraordinary.
First and foremost, oregano, thyme, parsley, garlic, and black pepper are classic flavor boosters for potatoes. These herbs bring out the natural flavor of the potatoes without overpowering them.
If you want to add some color to your dish, try adding paprika. For a smoky flavor, smoked paprika is a great addition. And if you like a little heat, cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes can be added to taste.
It’s important to note that these seasoning blends do not contain salt. This allows you to control the amount of salt added to your dish during the cooking process.
Why Seasoning Is Important For Roasted Potatoes
Seasoning is a crucial step in preparing roasted potatoes. Without proper seasoning, the potatoes may taste bland or lack flavor. Seasoning not only enhances the natural taste of the potatoes but also adds depth and complexity to the dish.
The right combination of herbs and spices can make all the difference in creating a delicious roasted potato dish. For example, using a blend of oregano, thyme, parsley, garlic, and black pepper will bring out the natural flavor of the potatoes while adding a subtle herbaceousness to the dish.
In addition to flavor, seasoning can also affect the texture of the potatoes. For instance, adding salt to the seasoning blend can help draw out moisture from the potatoes during cooking, resulting in a crispy exterior and a fluffy interior.
Furthermore, seasoning allows for customization and experimentation with different flavors and spice blends. You can try using different herbs and spices such as rosemary, basil, or curry powder to create unique and flavorful roasted potato dishes.
Classic Seasoning Options For Roasted Potatoes
If you’re looking for a classic seasoning option for roasted potatoes, McCormick’s garlic and herb blend is a great choice. This blend includes oregano, paprika, thyme, sea salt, and garlic, mixed with oil and tossed with your potatoes before roasting. You can also make your own seasoning blend using dried oregano, dried thyme, garlic granules or powder, dried parsley, and pepper. Mix up your seasonings and save them in an airtight container, using 1 tablespoon of seasoning per 2 pounds of potatoes.
Another classic option is a simple blend of garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. This blend is easy to make and adds a delicious savory flavor to your roasted potatoes.
For a more earthy flavor profile, try using rosemary and thyme as your main herbs. These two herbs complement each other well and add a warm and comforting flavor to your dish.
If you’re feeling adventurous, try using za’atar and cumin for a floral and smoky flavor or hot smoked paprika and turmeric for spicy and herbal potatoes.
No matter which seasoning blend you choose, it’s important to roast your potatoes at 425°F to get that beautifully golden and crispy outside while keeping the centers creamy and tender. And don’t forget to let them cool down completely before storing leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat them in the oven or on the stovetop to bring back that crispiness!
Creative Seasoning Ideas To Elevate Your Roasted Potatoes
If you’re looking to get a little more creative with your roasted potatoes, here are some seasoning ideas to take your dish to the next level:
1. Lemon and Rosemary: Add a burst of freshness to your roasted potatoes by tossing them with lemon zest and chopped fresh rosemary. The bright flavor of the lemon complements the earthy flavor of the rosemary, creating a delicious combination.
2. Garlic and Parmesan: For a savory and cheesy twist, try tossing your roasted potatoes with minced garlic and grated Parmesan cheese. This seasoning blend adds a rich and decadent flavor to your dish.
3. Curry Powder: If you’re looking for a more exotic flavor, try adding curry powder to your roasted potatoes. This blend of spices, including turmeric, coriander, cumin, and ginger, adds a warm and slightly spicy flavor to your dish.
4. Everything Bagel Seasoning: This seasoning blend, typically used on bagels, can also be used to season roasted potatoes. It includes sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried garlic, dried onion, and salt. The combination of flavors adds a unique twist to your dish.
5. Ranch Seasoning: For a classic American flavor, try tossing your roasted potatoes with ranch seasoning mix. This blend typically includes dried herbs like dill and parsley, as well as garlic powder and onion powder.
No matter what seasoning you choose, the key is to experiment and find what works best for you and your taste preferences. With these creative seasoning ideas, you can elevate your roasted potatoes and impress your dinner guests with a delicious and flavorful side dish.
Tips For Applying Seasoning To Roasted Potatoes
Once you have chosen your seasoning blend, it’s important to apply it properly to your roasted potatoes. Here are some tips to ensure your seasoning is evenly distributed and enhances the flavor of your dish:
1. Toss the potatoes with the seasoning blend: Before roasting, add the seasoning blend to a bowl with your potatoes and toss until they are evenly coated. This will ensure that every potato gets the same amount of seasoning.
2. Use a brush: If you prefer a more controlled application, use a brush to apply the seasoning blend to each potato individually. This method is especially useful if you want to add more or less seasoning to certain potatoes.
3. Add seasoning halfway through cooking: To prevent your seasoning from burning, add it halfway through the cooking process. This will also give your potatoes a chance to develop a crispy exterior before being coated in seasoning.
4. Experiment with different herbs and spices: Don’t be afraid to mix and match different herbs and spices to find your perfect seasoning blend. Basil, rosemary, and sage are all great options that pair well with potatoes.
5. Don’t forget the oil: In addition to seasoning, a good quality oil is essential for crispy roasted potatoes. Choose an oil with a high smoke point, such as vegetable or olive oil, and make sure to preheat it before adding your potatoes.
By following these tips, you can create perfectly seasoned roasted potatoes that are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Experiment with different herbs and spices to find your favorite flavor combination, and don’t forget to use a good quality oil for optimal results.
Pairing Seasoned Roasted Potatoes With Other Dishes
Roasted potatoes are a versatile side dish that can be paired with a variety of other dishes to create a delicious and satisfying meal. Here are some of our favorite pairings:
1. Grilled or roasted meats: Roasted potatoes pair perfectly with grilled or roasted meats such as chicken, beef, or pork. The earthy flavor of the potatoes complements the bold flavors of the meat, while the crispy texture of the potatoes provides a nice contrast to the tender meat.
2. Vegetables: Roasted potatoes also pair well with roasted or grilled vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, or bell peppers. The combination of different textures and flavors creates a well-rounded and satisfying meal.
3. Salads: Roasted potatoes can be added to salads for an extra boost of flavor and texture. They work particularly well in potato salads, but can also be added to green salads for a hearty and filling meal.
4. Eggs: Roasted potatoes make a great base for egg dishes such as omelets, frittatas, or breakfast burritos. The combination of crispy potatoes and fluffy eggs is a match made in heaven.
5. Chili or stews: Roasted potatoes can be added to chili or stews for an extra dose of carbohydrates and flavor. They help to thicken the sauce and add a nice texture to the dish.
Final Thoughts: Experimenting With Seasonings For Roasted Potatoes
If you’re feeling adventurous, consider experimenting with your own seasoning blends for roasted potatoes. The possibilities are endless!
One idea is to combine dried rosemary, thyme, and sage for a classic Mediterranean flavor. Another option is to mix together cumin, coriander, and chili powder for a spicy twist.
When creating your own seasoning blend, keep in mind that a little goes a long way. Start with a small amount and adjust as necessary. And don’t forget to add the seasoning blend to the potatoes before roasting for maximum flavor infusion.
Lastly, it’s important to store your seasoning blends properly to ensure they remain fresh. Keep them in an airtight container away from sunlight, and use within six months for optimal freshness.