Soy sauce is a staple in many Asian cuisines, but did you know that it could also be good for your hair?
Yes, you read that right! The same ingredient that adds flavor to your favorite dishes could also help improve the health of your locks.
In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of soybean oil and soy butter for your hair, and how you can incorporate them into your hair care routine.
But before we dive into that, let’s take a look at the strange and shocking discovery of a factory in China that was producing soy sauce made from human hair.
Don’t worry, we’ll also explain why this is not a concern for those using soy sauce from reputable sources.
So sit back, relax, and let’s explore the fascinating world of soy sauce and hair care.
Is Soy Sauce Good For Hair?
Soy sauce contains a variety of nutrients that can benefit your hair. Soybean oil and soy butter, in particular, are rich in vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to promote hair growth and reduce hair loss.
Vitamin E is an antioxidant that helps repair cell damage and improve hair growth. It also increases hair shine and reduces hair loss. Omega-3 fatty acids nourish, strengthen, and protect the hair by providing it with proteins and nutrients that reduce scalp inflammation and increase cell circulation, stimulating hair growth.
Soybean oil also has conditioning properties due to its fatty acid components. This means that it can help lock moisture within your hair with only a small amount. If you have dry hair, consider adding soybean oil to your hair mask or conditioning treatments.
Another benefit of soybean oil is that it is a carrier oil, which means it can be applied topically without being diluted. This makes it a must-have item for those who want to apply oil directly to their scalp without worrying about burning or irritation.
Soy butter is also a non-greasy product that can help moisturize and style your hair without leaving smudge stains on surfaces that it touches. It’s perfect for those who want to avoid greasy hair products.
The Strange Discovery Of Soy Sauce Made From Human Hair
In a bizarre turn of events, it was discovered that a factory in Hubei province, China had been processing over ten tons of human hair daily into edible amino acids suitable for turning into soy sauce. The company found that human hair contains amino acids very similar to soy sauce, and they could obtain hair from barber shops, boil the amino acids out, then add that to a water/brown sugar/salt mixture, add a little coloring, and voila! They had “soy sauce” that met China’s national standards, without the pesky fermentation process. This unorthodox method of obtaining amino acids came as a result of a huge demand for it in China. However, besides just being a disgusting thing to eat, human hair also contains harmful substances. The chemicals used to process hair to make it into food can be carcinogenic and pose health risks. It is unclear why China has banned the use of such products in food. This strange discovery highlights the importance of regulating food production and ensuring the safety of ingredients used in food products.
Benefits Of Soybean Oil For Hair Health
Soybean oil is a natural oil that provides several benefits for hair health. Here are some of the benefits of soybean oil for hair care:
1. Moisture Retention: Soybean oil is loaded with essential vitamins and minerals that help the hair to absorb and retain moisture. This hydrating property makes it an excellent choice for treating dry, dull hair by increasing shine and softness. It also helps to treat split ends, improves manageability, and protects hair from breakage and shedding.
2. Improves Shine: Soybean oil is non-greasy, which means it won’t weigh down your hair like other oils. Its light texture makes it a great choice for softening and smoothing hair cuticles, resulting in increased shine. Soybean oil seals moisture into your hair and leaves it glossy and shiny.
3. Acts as an Antioxidant: Soybean oil contains Vitamin E, which is essential for maintaining a healthy scalp. Its antioxidant properties help reduce inflammation, remove dandruff, and soothe an itchy scalp. A healthy scalp is crucial for promoting hair growth with less damage.
4. Acts as a Sealant: Soybean oil does not penetrate the hair shaft on its own, but it can still seal water into the hair shaft effectively. It’s an excellent choice for treating dryness and an itchy scalp when used alone or mixed with other essential oils. You can include soybean oil in your LOC or LCO method to treat dry, damaged hair and brittle ends.
5. Improves Hair Growth: Soybean oil is proven to stimulate hair growth due to its Vitamin E properties, which increase blood circulation, repair hair follicles, and promote new hair growth. A well-nourished scalp is the foundation of healthy hair, making soybean oil an excellent choice for promoting healthy hair growth.
6. Prolongs Color Treatments: Soybean oil can preserve dyed hair color by preventing color fading using oxidation. It helps to retain dyed hair color for longer periods.
How Soy Butter Can Nourish Your Hair
Soy butter is a great addition to your hair care routine as it contains the same nourishing properties as soybean oil. It is rich in vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids, making it an excellent choice for those who want to promote hair growth and reduce hair loss.
Soy butter also has conditioning properties that can help to soften and smooth your hair, making it more manageable. It contains fatty acids that can help to moisturize and nourish your hair, leaving it feeling softer and more supple.
One of the best things about soy butter is that it is easy to use. You can apply it to your hair as a leave-in conditioner or use it as a styling product. Simply rub a small amount of soy butter between your palms and apply it to your hair, focusing on the ends.
Soy butter is also great for those with dry or damaged hair. It can help to lock in moisture, preventing your hair from becoming dry and brittle. If you have split ends or breakage, soy butter can help to repair and strengthen your hair, leaving it looking healthy and vibrant.
Incorporating Soy Sauce Into Your Hair Care Routine
If you want to incorporate soy sauce into your hair care routine, consider using soybean oil or soy butter as a hair mask or conditioning treatment. Simply apply a small amount to your hair and leave it on for 15-30 minutes before rinsing it out with lukewarm water. You can also mix soybean oil with your favorite shampoo or conditioner for an added boost of nutrients.
For those with dry hair, consider adding soybean oil to your pre-shampoo routine. Apply the oil to your hair before washing it to lock in moisture and prevent further drying out.
If you’re looking for a non-greasy styling product, try using soy butter. This product can help moisturize and style your hair without leaving any smudge stains on surfaces that it touches.
Tips For Using Soy Sauce On Your Hair Safely And Effectively
While soy sauce can be a great ingredient for your hair, it’s important to use it safely and effectively. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
1. Use tamari instead of regular soy sauce if you have a gluten sensitivity.
2. Avoid using soy sauce made in facilities that also process wheat if you are severely sensitive to gluten.
3. Do not use soy sauce as a hair dye without mixing it with vinegar in a 1:1 ratio. The acidic pH of vinegar helps support the absorption of the dye contained in the soy sauce.
4. Apply the soy sauce and vinegar mixture as a rinse after washing your hair.
5. Be aware that the smell of the mixture can be very intense, so make sure you are comfortable with it before applying it to your hair.
By following these tips, you can safely and effectively use soy sauce on your hair to promote hair growth, reduce hair loss, and improve its overall health.
Conclusion: The Surprising Benefits Of Soy Sauce For Hair Care
While soy sauce itself may not be directly beneficial for hair care, the nutrients found in soybeans and soy products, such as vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids, can promote healthy hair growth and reduce hair loss. Additionally, soybean oil and soy butter have conditioning properties that can help lock moisture within the hair and provide a non-greasy styling option. So while you may not want to pour soy sauce directly onto your hair, incorporating soy-based products into your hair care routine can provide surprising benefits for your locks.