Are you a fan of Asian cuisine and looking for a delicious dipping sauce to add some flavor to your meals?
Look no further than hoisin sauce! But where can you find it? You may be wondering if Trader Joe’s carries this popular condiment.
The good news is that Trader Joe’s not only sells hoisin sauce, but they also offer a variety of other Asian-style dipping sauces to choose from.
In this article, we’ll explore the different types of hoisin sauce available at Trader Joe’s and even provide a recipe for making your own homemade version.
Get ready to add some bold and savory flavors to your meals with the help of Trader Joe’s hoisin sauce selection.
Does Trader Joe’s Sell Hoisin Sauce?
Yes, Trader Joe’s does sell hoisin sauce! In fact, they offer both organic and conventional options, as well as a range of other Asian-style dipping sauces.
One popular brand you may find at Trader Joe’s is Lee Kum Kee hoisin sauce. But if you’re looking to switch things up and try something new, Trader Joe’s also has their own brand of hoisin sauce that you can give a try.
What Is Hoisin Sauce?
Hoisin sauce is a thick and savory sauce that is commonly used in southern Chinese cooking. Its flavor profile is sweet, tangy, and slightly salty with a hint of umami. The two main ingredients in hoisin sauce are fermented soybean paste (also known as miso) and sugar. Other ingredients may include garlic, vinegar, sesame oil or paste, and chili peppers. Lee Kum Kee, a popular brand of hoisin sauce, also includes sweet potato powder in their recipe.
The name “hoisin” comes from the Chinese word for seafood, but the sauce itself does not contain any seafood ingredients. It is believed that earlier formulations of hoisin sauce may have included seafood to provide the umami flavor. Today, hoisin sauce is typically used as a dipping sauce for dumplings or spring rolls, as a glaze for meats like roast duck or pork, or as a flavor enhancer in stir-fry dishes.
While it’s possible to buy hoisin sauce at the store, making it at home can be a fun and easy DIY project. Homemade hoisin sauce typically includes garlic, soy sauce, honey or maple syrup, distilled white vinegar, tahini, and Sriracha or another hot sauce. The key to making a great homemade hoisin sauce is to sizzle the garlic until it’s the color of toffee without burning it. Once the garlic is browned, whisk in the rest of the ingredients and cook until bubbly and smooth. The result is a delicious and addictive sauce that’s even better than store-bought.
The Different Types Of Hoisin Sauce At Trader Joe’s
If you’re a hoisin sauce enthusiast, you’ll be pleased to know that Trader Joe’s offers a variety of options to choose from. Let’s take a closer look at the different types of hoisin sauce available at Trader Joe’s:
1. Organic Hoisin Sauce: This hoisin sauce is made with organic ingredients and has a rich, savory flavor with a hint of sweetness. It’s perfect for marinating meat, glazing vegetables, or as a dipping sauce.
2. Conventional Hoisin Sauce: This hoisin sauce is made with high-quality ingredients and has a slightly thicker consistency than the organic version. It has a bold and tangy flavor that pairs well with stir-fry dishes or as a condiment for sandwiches.
3. Garlic Hoisin Sauce: This hoisin sauce is infused with garlic, giving it an extra kick of flavor. It’s perfect for adding to marinades, dressings, or as a dipping sauce for spring rolls.
4. Spicy Hoisin Sauce: This hoisin sauce has a spicy kick to it, thanks to the addition of red chili peppers. It’s perfect for adding heat to stir-fry dishes or as a condiment for grilled meats.
5. Hoisin Sauce with Peanut Butter: This unique hoisin sauce combines the flavors of hoisin sauce with creamy peanut butter. It’s perfect for adding to stir-fry dishes or as a dipping sauce for satay skewers.
No matter which type of hoisin sauce you choose, Trader Joe’s offers a variety of options to suit your taste preferences and culinary needs. So next time you’re in the mood for some delicious Asian-inspired cuisine, be sure to check out Trader Joe’s hoisin sauce selection.
How To Use Hoisin Sauce In Your Cooking
Hoisin sauce is a versatile ingredient that can add a rich, savory flavor to a variety of dishes. Here are some ways to use hoisin sauce in your cooking:
1. As a marinade: Mix hoisin sauce with soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, and ginger to create a flavorful marinade for meats such as chicken, pork, or beef. Let the meat marinate for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
2. As a dipping sauce: Hoisin sauce is commonly used as a dipping sauce for spring rolls, dumplings, and other appetizers. You can also mix it with soy sauce or sesame oil for an extra kick of flavor.
3. In stir-fries: Add a tablespoon or two of hoisin sauce to your stir-fry towards the end of cooking to give it a sweet and savory flavor. It pairs well with vegetables like broccoli, bell peppers, and onions.
4. In noodle dishes: Hoisin sauce can be used in noodle dishes such as lo mein or chow mein. Mix it with soy sauce and sesame oil for a simple and delicious sauce.
5. As a glaze: Use hoisin sauce as a glaze for roasted meats like chicken or pork. Mix it with honey, soy sauce, and garlic for an extra flavorful glaze.
Making Your Own Hoisin Sauce At Home
If you’re feeling adventurous or want to avoid store-bought hoisin sauce altogether, making your own at home is surprisingly easy! All you need are six simple ingredients: garlic, soy sauce, honey (or maple syrup), distilled white vinegar, tahini, and Sriracha.
The key to making a delicious homemade hoisin sauce is to really sizzle the garlic until it’s the color of toffee, but not burnt. This will give your sauce a rich and flavorful base. Once the garlic is browned, whisk in the rest of the ingredients and cook the mixture until it’s bubbly, thick, and smooth. Season with salt and fresh black pepper, and add a splash of water if you want a thinner consistency.
The end result is a mouthwatering hoisin sauce that’s rich, sweet, and salty. The nutty tahini adds a depth of flavor, while the Sriracha gives it a spicy kick. Plus, since you’re making it from scratch, you can adjust the ingredients to your liking and make it as hot or mild as you prefer.
Homemade hoisin sauce is perfect for marinating meats, dipping spring rolls or dumplings, or using as a sauce for stir-fry dishes. And since it only takes 10 minutes to make, you’ll never have to buy store-bought hoisin sauce again!
Other Asian-Style Dipping Sauces Available At Trader Joe’s.
In addition to hoisin sauce, Trader Joe’s offers a variety of Asian-style dipping sauces that can add a burst of flavor to your meals. One such option is the Trader Joe’s Gyoza Dipping Sauce, which features a soy base with rice vinegar, cilantro, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, chives, and crushed red pepper for a sweet and savory taste with just a hint of heat. This versatile sauce can be used as a marinade or dipping sauce for dishes like gyoza, shumai, soup dumplings, and egg rolls.
Another option is the Trader Joe’s Aioli Garlic Mustard Sauce, which has a slightly sweet and spicy flavor that makes it a great upgrade to regular mustard. Use it as a spread on sandwiches or as an easy marinade for chicken before grilling or sautéing.
If you’re a fan of spicy flavors, try the Trader Joe’s Chili Onion Crunch Sauce. This sauce features crispy fried onions and garlic in a blend of chili peppers and oil for a fiery kick that can be used as a condiment or ingredient in dishes like stir-fry or noodles.
For a more traditional dipping sauce option, try the Trader Joe’s Soyaki Sauce. This blend of soy sauce, mirin, garlic, ginger, and sesame seeds has a sweet and tangy flavor that pairs well with grilled meats and vegetables.