Are you tired of using expensive and potentially harmful chemicals to clean your bong?
Look no further than your kitchen pantry for a simple and effective solution – kosher salt.
This coarse salt can act as a scrubbing agent when combined with rubbing alcohol to remove built-up tars and resins from your glass piece.
But is kosher salt really the best option?
In this article, we’ll explore the benefits and drawbacks of using kosher salt for bong cleaning, as well as other alternative methods.
Say goodbye to expensive cleaners and hello to a sparkling clean bong with just a few household items.
Can You Clean A Bong With Kosher Salt?
Yes, you can clean a bong with kosher salt. In fact, many people prefer to use kosher salt over other types of salt due to its coarser texture, which makes it easier to swash around inside your piece.
When combined with rubbing alcohol, kosher salt acts as an abrasive that scrubs away the built-up resin and tar from your bong. This method is not only effective but also affordable and easily accessible, as both ingredients can be found at your local grocery store.
However, it’s important to note that not all types of salt are suitable for bong cleaning. Avoid using pink salts or those blended with additives like herbs and spices, as they won’t benefit your cleaning process and may end up being more expensive than necessary.
Additionally, if you find the combination of salt and rubbing alcohol harsh on your hands, you can substitute salt with eggshells. This alternative method is just as effective and gentler on your skin.
The Benefits Of Using Kosher Salt For Bong Cleaning
Using kosher salt for bong cleaning offers several benefits over other types of salt. The coarser texture of kosher salt makes it easier to swash around inside your bong, allowing it to scrub away resin and tar more effectively.
Compared to other types of salt, such as table salt, kosher salt is thicker in grain and better suited for bong cleaning. Regular granular salt may not work as effectively and could potentially scratch your bong due to its smaller grain size.
Moreover, using kosher salt is an affordable and accessible option for bong cleaning. It can be found at almost any local grocery store and is typically cheaper than other types of specialty salts.
How To Clean Your Bong With Kosher Salt And Rubbing Alcohol
Cleaning your bong with kosher salt and rubbing alcohol is a simple process that can be done at home with ease. Follow these steps for a thorough clean:
1. Gather your materials: You will need kosher salt, rubbing alcohol (70% or higher), and a container large enough to fit your bong’s removable pieces.
2. Remove any detachable parts: Take out the bowl and downstem from your bong and place them in separate containers. This will prevent any damage and ensure a thorough clean.
3. Pour in the salt and alcohol mixture: Combine a handful of kosher salt with rubbing alcohol in the container until the pieces are fully submerged.
4. Let it sit: Allow the mixture to sit for a few minutes to loosen up any built-up resin.
5. Shake it up: Once the mixture has had time to sit, shake the container vigorously to dislodge any remaining resin.
6. Rinse with warm water: Rinse each piece thoroughly with warm water to remove any remaining salt and alcohol residue.
7. Dry and reassemble: Allow each piece to air dry completely before reassembling your bong.
It’s important to note that this method should be used regularly to prevent excessive residue buildup and preserve the smoothness and flavor of the smoke. Changing the water in your bong after every smoke session is also recommended to avoid inhaling mold and bacteria.
The Drawbacks Of Using Kosher Salt For Bong Cleaning
While kosher salt is a popular choice for bong cleaning, it does have some drawbacks. One of the main issues with using kosher salt is that it can be too coarse for some pieces, especially those with intricate designs or hard-to-reach areas. The larger granules may not be able to reach all the nooks and crannies, leaving behind some resin and tar buildup.
Another potential drawback is that kosher salt may not dissolve as easily as other types of salt, which can make it more difficult to rinse out of your bong. This can leave behind a salty residue that can affect the taste of your hits.
Lastly, while kosher salt is generally safe to use for bong cleaning, it’s important to note that it may contain small amounts of iodine, which can be harmful if ingested in large quantities. If you’re concerned about this, you may want to opt for a different type of salt or use an alternative cleaning method altogether.
Alternative Methods For Cleaning Your Bong
While the salt and rubbing alcohol method is the most popular and effective way to clean a bong, there are other alternative methods you can try.
One such method involves using vinegar and baking soda instead of rubbing alcohol and salt. Simply pour a cup of vinegar into your bong, followed by a tablespoon of baking soda. Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes, then rinse it out with hot water. This method is not only effective but also eco-friendly.
Another alternative method involves using denture tablets. Simply drop a few denture tablets into your bong filled with hot water and let it sit for about 30 minutes. The tablets will fizz and dissolve, loosening up the resin and tar buildup. Rinse it out with hot water, and your bong will be sparkling clean.
Lastly, you can also use commercial pipe cleaners specifically designed for bongs and glass pipes. While these cleaners can be more expensive than other methods, they are often formulated to be eco-friendly and non-toxic. Be sure to read the labels carefully before purchasing to ensure that they are safe for both you and the environment.
Tips For Maintaining A Clean Bong
Maintaining a clean bong is crucial for both the longevity of your piece and your health. Here are some tips to help you keep your bong looking and functioning like new:
1. Change the water after every use: Stagnant water is a breeding ground for bacteria and mold, which can be harmful to your health. Make it a habit to change the water in your bong after every smoking session.
2. Deep clean your bong regularly: While changing the water is important, it’s not enough to keep your bong completely clean. Deep cleaning your bong with rubbing alcohol and kosher salt once a week will help remove any built-up resin and tar.
3. Use pipe cleaners for hard-to-reach areas: Some parts of your bong may be difficult to clean with just salt and alcohol. Use pipe cleaners or cotton swabs to get into those tight spots.
4. Don’t forget about the bowl: The bowl is where the cannabis is burned, so it’s important to keep it clean as well. Use a small brush or toothpick to remove any debris from the bowl after each use.
5. Be mindful of waste: When cleaning your bong, try to conserve water and avoid being wasteful. Pour any used alcohol/salt solution into the sink and rinse both the bong and sink thoroughly with warm water.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your bong stays clean and safe to use for years to come.