Argan oil has become a popular hair care product in recent years, known for its ability to nourish and add shine to hair. But when it comes to applying argan oil, there seems to be some confusion – should it be used on wet or dry hair?
The answer is both! However, the way you apply it and the amount you use can make a big difference in the results you see.
In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of using argan oil on both wet and dry hair, as well as some tips for how to use it effectively. So whether you’re looking to protect your hair from heat styling or add some extra shine, read on to learn more about the best ways to use argan oil on your hair.
Should I Put Argan Oil On Dry Or Wet Hair?
Argan oil is a versatile hair care product that can be used on both wet and dry hair. When applied to wet hair, it can help to nourish and protect your hair from heat styling. On dry hair, it can add shine and reduce frizz.
If you’re using argan oil to style your hair, simply put a few drops on your hands and rub it through dry hair. However, be careful not to use too much as this can make your hair look greasy.
For best results, apply argan oil to damp (not soaking) hair after washing and towel-drying. This will help to seal in moisture and protect your hair from heat styling. After applying the oil, you can blow-dry your hair knowing that it has the added protection of argan oil.
It’s important to note that argan oil cannot penetrate the hair cuticle, so it’s best to use it sparingly. Only use one or two pumps for your entire head, and apply it to dry hair to seal in moisture.
For those with curly or coily hair types, argan oil can be applied to damp or wet hair to lock in moisture and prevent flyaways. The tighter the curl, the more liberal you can be with the amount of oil you use.
The Benefits Of Using Argan Oil On Wet Hair
Using argan oil on wet hair has a host of benefits. When applied to damp hair, argan oil can help to nourish and protect your hair from heat styling. It can also help to seal in moisture, leaving your hair feeling soft and hydrated.
Argan oil is rich in antioxidants, such as vitamin E, which helps protect the hair from free radical damage – a major cause of premature aging. Alongside its vitamin E content, argan oil also contains omega-6 which softens the hair and helps to prevent breakage. This makes it ideal for those with dry or damaged hair, as well as those with frizzy hair, as it works to soothe, protect and rejuvenate it.
Argan oil can also act as a moisturizer, helping to soften the scalp and fight dandruff and dryness. It’s able to lubricate the hair shaft and help your hair maintain its natural moisture, preventing dryness and boosting shine.
When applied to wet hair before blow-drying or styling, argan oil serves to protect the hair from heat damage. It can also help to increase hair elasticity, restore shine to dull, lifeless hair and prevent splitting and breakage.
How To Apply Argan Oil To Wet Hair
If you want to apply argan oil to wet hair, start by washing your hair and towel-drying it until it is damp. Then, take a few drops of argan oil in your palms and rub them together to warm the oil. Next, run your fingers through your hair and distribute the oil evenly from the roots to the tips.
For best results, focus on the ends of your hair, as they tend to be the driest and most damaged. Use a comb or your fingers to detangle your hair and ensure that the oil is evenly distributed. You can then style your hair as desired.
Remember that a little goes a long way with argan oil, so don’t overdo it. Using too much can make your hair look greasy and weigh it down. Start with one or two drops and adjust as needed based on your hair type and texture.
If you have curly or coily hair, you may want to use more argan oil to help define your curls and combat frizz. In this case, apply the oil to wet hair and scrunch it through your curls for extra moisture and hold.
The Benefits Of Using Argan Oil On Dry Hair
Using argan oil on dry hair can provide several benefits. Firstly, it can add shine to dull, lifeless hair. The fatty layer provided by the vitamin E in argan oil helps to reduce frizz and boost shine, giving your hair a healthier and more vibrant appearance.
Argan oil can also help to prevent breakage and split ends by keeping your hair follicles free from damage caused by everyday pollution, chemical treatments, and hot tools. The high content of antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and vitamin E in argan oil helps to neutralize hair damage from free radicals and other elements.
In addition to protecting your hair from damage, argan oil can also help to increase hair elasticity. This can help to make your hair softer and more manageable, which is especially useful for those with coarse or unruly hair.
Finally, argan oil can help to protect your hair from mechanical stress caused by hair styling tools such as curling irons and straighteners. The composition of argan oil helps to keep your hair healthy, even with frequent use of these tools.
How To Apply Argan Oil To Dry Hair
Applying argan oil to dry hair is a great way to add shine and reduce frizz. Here’s how to do it:
1. Start with clean, dry hair. If your hair is wet, towel-dry it thoroughly before applying the oil.
2. Squeeze one or two drops of argan oil into your palm and rub your hands together. This will distribute the oil evenly and warm it up slightly.
3. Lightly apply the oil to your hair, focusing on the mid-lengths and ends. Be careful not to apply too much, as this can make your hair look greasy.
4. Avoid massaging the oil into your scalp – you only want a light coating on your hair’s surface.
5. Style your hair as usual. The argan oil will help to tame flyaways and add shine to your locks.
6. If you have oily hair, use argan oil sparingly and focus it on the ends of your hair. Those with dry or damaged hair can be a bit more generous with the amount of oil they use.
7. Remember to wash your hair at the end of the day to remove any residue left behind by the oil.
By following these simple steps, you can easily incorporate argan oil into your hair care routine and enjoy its many benefits for healthy, shiny locks.
How Much Argan Oil Should You Use?
When it comes to using argan oil, it’s important to remember that a little goes a long way. Using too much oil can make your hair look greasy and weigh it down. For best results, start with one or two pumps of oil for your entire head, and adjust as needed.
If you’re using argan oil to style your hair, use a light touch and focus on the ends of your hair rather than the scalp. This will help to prevent greasiness and keep your hair looking healthy and shiny.
If you have thick, curly or heavily colored hair, full-strength argan oil may be the best choice for you. However, if you have fine hair or hair that tends to get oily, a blended or lightweight version may be more suitable. Be sure to read the label and choose a product that is designed for your hair type.
Remember that argan oil cannot penetrate the hair cuticle, so it’s best to use it sparingly. Use just enough to achieve the desired effect, and avoid applying it directly to the scalp. With a little experimentation, you can find the perfect amount of argan oil to keep your hair looking healthy and beautiful.
Other Tips For Using Argan Oil In Your Hair Care Routine
In addition to using argan oil on wet or dry hair, there are other ways to incorporate this nourishing oil into your hair care routine. Here are some other tips to consider:
1. Use argan oil as a pre-shampoo treatment: Apply a few drops of argan oil to your hair and scalp before shampooing. Massage it in and leave it on for 15-20 minutes before washing your hair as usual. This can help to nourish and strengthen your hair, while also protecting it from the harsh chemicals in your shampoo.
2. Add argan oil to your conditioner: Mix a few drops of argan oil into your conditioner before applying it to your hair. This will help to boost the conditioning properties of your conditioner, leaving your hair softer and more manageable.
3. Use argan oil as a leave-in treatment: After washing and towel-drying your hair, apply a small amount of argan oil to the ends of your hair. This can help to prevent split ends and add shine to your hair.
4. Apply argan oil to dry, itchy scalp: If you suffer from a dry, itchy scalp, massage a few drops of argan oil into your scalp before bed. This can help to soothe and moisturize your scalp, reducing itchiness and flakiness.
Remember, when using argan oil in your hair care routine, less is more. Start with a small amount and work your way up if needed. With regular use, you’ll notice healthier, shinier, more manageable hair!