Are you a fan of MCT oil and wondering about the best way to store it?
You may have heard conflicting information about whether it’s safe to store MCT oil in plastic containers. With so many different types of plastics available, it can be difficult to know which ones are safe for storing this popular health supplement.
In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of storing MCT oil in plastic containers, and provide some tips on how to keep your oil fresh and safe for consumption.
So, let’s dive in and find out if plastic is a good option for storing MCT oil!
Is It Safe To Store MCT Oil In Plastic?
MCT oil is a popular health supplement that has gained a lot of attention in recent years due to its numerous health benefits. However, when it comes to storing MCT oil, there is some confusion about whether it’s safe to store it in plastic containers.
As noted in some sources, MCT oil in contact with incompatible plastics can not only be unsafe but can also contribute to poor taste. This is because certain types of plastic can react with the oil and cause it to break down, leading to a loss of quality and potentially harmful effects on your health.
However, not all plastics are created equal. High-density polyethylene (HDPE) is a type of plastic that is considered safe for storing high-grade essential oils, including MCT oil. HDPE plastics do not transfer any chemicals to the items stored in them and are commonly used in the food and cosmetic industry.
When choosing a plastic container for storing MCT oil, it’s important to look for the #
Understanding MCT Oil And Its Benefits
MCT oil is a type of oil that is derived from medium-chain triglycerides, which are a type of saturated fat that is found in coconut oil, palm kernel oil, and dairy products. MCTs are metabolized differently than other types of fats, as they are quickly absorbed and converted into energy by the liver. This makes them an excellent source of fuel for the body and brain.
MCT oil has numerous health benefits, including its ability to help with weight loss. MCTs can help boost weight loss results because they make you feel fuller for longer, are rarely stored as fat, have fewer calories than the more commonly consumed fats, boost your metabolism through their thermogenic effect, and increase your ketone levels. However, it’s important to note that MCTs should be used as a supplement for a healthy diet and lifestyle, not as a replacement.
Another benefit of MCT oil is its potential to help with cognitive function. Research has shown that MCT oil can improve cognitive function in people with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. One study found that 80% of participants had stabilization or improvement in cognition after using MCT oil for 9 months.
MCT oil has also been shown to have antimicrobial properties, which can help protect against harmful bacteria and viruses. Additionally, it may help improve digestion and reduce inflammation in the body.
The Pros And Cons Of Storing MCT Oil In Plastic Containers
There are both pros and cons to storing MCT oil in plastic containers.
One of the biggest advantages of using plastic containers is their affordability and availability. Plastic containers are widely available in different shapes and sizes, making it easy to find one that fits your needs. They are also affordable, making them a convenient option for those on a budget.
Another advantage of using plastic containers is their durability. Plastic containers are lightweight and shatterproof, making them a great option for those who need to transport their MCT oil with them. They are also less likely to break if dropped, which can be a concern when using glass containers.
However, there are also some potential downsides to storing MCT oil in plastic containers. One of the main concerns is the potential for chemicals from the plastic to leach into the oil over time. This can be especially problematic when using low-quality or incompatible plastics that may react with the oil and cause it to break down.
Another issue with plastic containers is their potential to degrade over time, especially when exposed to heat or sunlight. This can lead to cracks or other damage that can compromise the integrity of the container and potentially contaminate the oil.
Types Of Plastics And Their Safety Levels For Storing MCT Oil
There are several types of plastics that are safe for storing MCT oil. These include:
1. PET or PETE (Polyethylene Terephthalate): This is a commonly used plastic that is considered safe for storing MCT oil. However, it is important to note that PET containers should not be reused as they may contain harmful chemicals that can leach into the oil.
2. HDPE (High Density Polyethylene): This is another type of plastic that is considered safe for storing MCT oil. HDPE plastics do not transfer any chemicals to the items stored in them and are commonly used in the food and cosmetic industry.
3. LDPE (Low Density Polyethylene): This type of plastic is also considered safe for storing MCT oil. However, it is not as commonly used as PET or HDPE plastics.
4. PP (Polypropylene): This is a type of plastic that is commonly used in food storage containers and is considered safe for storing MCT oil.
When choosing a plastic container for storing MCT oil, it’s important to look for the recycling symbol on the bottom of the container. The numbers 1, 2, 4, and 5 indicate that the plastic is safe for food storage.
It’s also important to note that plastic containers should not be reused unless they are specifically designed for multiple uses. Reusing plastic containers that are not meant for multiple uses can lead to the transfer of harmful chemicals to the items stored in them.
Tips For Properly Storing MCT Oil To Maintain Freshness And Quality
To maintain the freshness and quality of your MCT oil, it’s crucial to store it properly. Here are some tips to help you do just that:
1. Store in a cool, dry, and dark place: Heat, moisture, and sunlight can accelerate the process of oxidation, which can cause your MCT oil to go rancid much sooner than expected. Therefore, it’s best to store your MCT oil in a cool, dry, and dark place such as your pantry or cupboard away from any heat sources.
2. Avoid plastic containers: While HDPE plastics are considered safe for storing MCT oil, it’s still best to avoid plastic containers altogether. Glass bottles or metal tins are better at keeping air out and preventing the oil from reacting with the plastic.
3. Keep the cap tightly closed: Once you open your MCT oil, oxidation starts which can shorten its shelf life. Make sure you seal the bottle tightly after each use to prevent air from entering.
4. Check the “best by” date: Every bottle of MCT oil should have a “best by” or “use-by” date marked clearly on the label. This is not an expiration date but an indication of how long the MCT oil should retain its best quality. As long as you keep the MCT oil stored properly, it should not go bad for many months after the listed date.
5. Refrigeration is optional: You do not need to refrigerate your MCT oil to stop it from going bad. However, refrigeration can extend its shelf life a little. If you choose to refrigerate your MCT oil, make sure it is stored in a sealed container away from any other food items with strong odors.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your MCT oil stays fresh and maintains its quality for as long as possible. Proper storage is key to getting the most out of this beneficial health supplement!
Alternative Storage Options For MCT Oil: Glass Or Stainless Steel Containers
While HDPE plastic containers are a safe option for storing MCT oil, some people prefer to use glass or stainless steel containers instead. Glass is an excellent option as it is impervious to essential oils and does not leach any chemicals into the oil. It also helps to keep the oil fresh and is easy to clean. If you have the option of choosing between a plastic container and a glass container, it is recommended to always choose the glass container.
Stainless steel is another excellent option for storing MCT oil. It is impervious to oils and easy to clean, making it a great choice for those who want a durable and long-lasting storage option. Stainless steel water bottles are also a great alternative if you are worried about dropping and breaking a glass bottle.
When it comes to storing MCT oil in alternative containers, it’s important to keep them in a cool, dry place away from light, heat, or oxygen. This will help to ensure that the oil lasts as long as possible without oxidizing or losing its quality.