If you’re an avid angler, you know that having the right bait can make all the difference in catching that big fish.
One popular bait among carp fishermen is hemp seed, which can be prepared in various ways to make it more appealing to fish. One of the most effective ways to use hemp seed is by making hemp oil, which can be used as a bait soak or added to groundbait and stick mixes.
In this article, we’ll show you how to make hemp oil for fishing and share some tips on how to use it to catch more fish. So, grab your fishing gear and let’s get started!
How To Make Hemp Oil For Fishing?
To make hemp oil for fishing, you’ll need to start with dried hemp seed. You can purchase bulk bags of hemp seed that have already gone through a drying process to ensure they don’t spoil and can be stored for long periods of time.
The first step is to soak the hemp seed for 12-24 hours before boiling. This will shorten the time it takes for the hemp seed to cook. After soaking, place the hempseed in a pot and add water. It’s recommended to add more water than hemp seed because the seeds will absorb the water during the cooking process.
Bring the water and hemp seed to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 30-40 minutes. You want the hemp seeds to split and be somewhat soft to the touch. Be sure to drain (but save) the water, as it can be used for adding to other baits such as boilies or corn.
Once you have your cooked hemp seed, you can make hemp oil by blending it with a neutral oil such as vegetable or sunflower oil. Use a 1:1 ratio of cooked hemp seed to oil and blend until smooth. You can strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer to remove any solids.
Introduction To Hemp Oil As A Fishing Bait
Hemp oil is a 100% natural supplement that is extremely nutritious and a rich source of essential omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids. It contains healthful polyunsaturated fatty acids and antioxidant compounds, including vitamin E. Hemp oil has a natural 3:1 balance of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids, making it superior to most comparable seed oils. It is also a good source of gamma-linolenic acid, which is beneficial for promoting overall health.
When used as a fishing bait, hemp oil can be highly effective in attracting carp. The oil has a light, nutty taste that carp find irresistible. It can be used to coat boilies or added to other baits such as corn or pellets to enhance their attractiveness.
In addition to its effectiveness as a fishing bait, hemp oil can also provide health benefits for fish. The omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in the oil are essential for promoting healthy growth and development in fish. They also support strong immune systems and healthy cardiovascular function.
Benefits Of Using Hemp Oil For Fishing
Hemp oil is a valuable addition to any angler’s bait arsenal. Derived from hemp seed, this oil is rich in vitamins, minerals, and Omega 3, 6 and 9 oils. It is also a source of polyunsaturated fatty acids, making it a healthy option for carp to consume.
One of the main benefits of using hemp oil for fishing is its ability to attract carp. Hemp oil has a distinctive nutty taste and aroma that can be used to effectively lure carp to your baited area. When combined with other particles in spod or method mixes, hemp oil can help grab the carps’ attention and hold them on the spot longer. This increases the chance that they will stumble across your hook bait and pick it up.
Hemp oil can also be used as a hook bait soak, a boilie mix additive, or a moisturizer for stick, method or ground bait mixes. It is PVA friendly, which means it can be used with PVA mesh sticks to achieve perfect presentation in areas where fish feel very safe feeding. This makes it an excellent option for anglers looking to catch bigger fish.
Furthermore, hemp oil can be used year-round since it congeals at incredibly low temperatures. This means it can be used even in the winter months when other oils may not work as well. Hemp oil is also great for preserving fresh baits, such as freezer baits, for long sessions.
Ingredients And Equipment Needed To Make Hemp Oil
To make hemp oil for fishing, you’ll need the following ingredients and equipment:
– Dried hemp seed
– Neutral oil (such as vegetable or sunflower oil)
– Cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer
It’s important to use dried hemp seed that has already gone through a drying process to ensure it doesn’t spoil and can be stored for long periods of time. You’ll also need water to cook the hemp seed and a neutral oil to blend with the cooked seeds to make the hemp oil.
To cook the hemp seed, you’ll need a pot and water. Soak the hemp seed for 12-24 hours before boiling to shorten the cooking time. After soaking, place the hempseed in a pot and add water. It’s recommended to add more water than hemp seed because the seeds will absorb the water during the cooking process. Bring the water and hemp seed to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 30-40 minutes. You want the hemp seeds to split and be somewhat soft to the touch.
Once you have your cooked hemp seed, you can make hemp oil by blending it with a neutral oil such as vegetable or sunflower oil. Use a 1:1 ratio of cooked hemp seed to oil and blend until smooth. You can strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer to remove any solids. The resulting liquid is your homemade hemp oil, which can be used as an effective bait for fishing.
Step-by-Step Guide To Making Hemp Oil For Fishing
If you’re looking to make hemp oil specifically for fishing, here is a step-by-step guide to follow:
1. Set up a double boiler. This will enable the infusion without the risk of burning the oil. If you don’t have a dedicated double boiler, you can make your own easily by filling a pot halfway with water and placing a heat-safe bowl on top. The bowl should fit in the pot without touching the water.
2. Heat the double boiler on your stove’s low setting.
3. Add oil to the bowl or top portion of the double boiler. Once the water in the pot (or bottom portion of the double boiler) is simmering, add 1 cup of oil to the bowl (or top component of the boiler). The water and oil should stay completely separate throughout the entire infusion.
4. Bring the oil to 160 to 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Add the decarbed cannabis and stir.
6. Continue to steep at between 160 and 180 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Adjust the heat setting on your stove to maintain a consistent temperature for the entire cook time. You may have to add water to the bottom pot or double boiler as the infusion goes on, just in case all the water evaporates over the several hour cook time.
Once you have infused your oil with hemp, you can use it as a bait enhancer for fishing. Simply add a small amount to your bait or mix it in with other baits such as boilies or corn for added attraction.
Remember, when using hemp seed or hemp oil for fishing, it’s important to handle it properly and store it correctly to prevent spoilage. If you prepare a lot of hempseed beforehand, be sure to bag it and freeze it in a freezer if you plan to store it for longer durations. Simply thaw the hempseed before you plan to go fishing, and it will be as good as when it was freshly prepared.
Tips For Using Hemp Oil As A Bait Soak
Hemp oil is a great addition to your particle mixes to enhance their effectiveness as a bait. Here are some tips for using hemp oil as a bait soak:
1. Coat your particle mixes generously with hemp oil: To create the “Dinner Plate” effect, completely coat your particle mixes of corn and hemp seed with hemp oil. This will create a calm oil slick over the area you’re fishing, making it easier to tell when carp are feeding on your bait.
2. Use hemp oil on days with slight ripples: Hemp oil is most effective on days when there is a slight ripple on the water. As carp disturb your bait, the oil will rise to the surface, creating an attractive scent and appearance that will entice them to feed.
3. Soak your baits in hemp oil: You can also soak your baits in hemp oil before casting them out. This will give them an added boost of attraction and make them more appealing to fish.
4. Mix hemp oil with other bait additives: Hemp oil can be mixed with other bait additives such as liquid amino acids or sweeteners to create a custom bait blend that will attract more fish.
By following these tips, you can make the most of your hemp oil as a bait soak and increase your chances of catching more fish.
Adding Hemp Oil To Groundbait And Stick Mixes
Adding hemp oil to your groundbait and stick mixes can be a game-changer for your fishing success. Not only does it add a distinctive nutty taste and aroma that fish find irresistible, but it also has a nutritional profile that rivals the healthiest cooking oils in the world.
To incorporate hemp oil into your groundbait or stick mix, start by preparing the mix as you normally would. Once you have your base mix, add hemp oil to it at a ratio of 50ml per 500g of mix. This will ensure that the hemp oil is evenly distributed throughout the mix.
You can also create a paste using Champion’s Method Mussel Green Groundbait by mixing it up the night before a match and adding a little good quality hemp oil. This will create a paste that fish can’t resist, with a consistency that hangs off the hook and draws fish in from great distances.
Hemp oil can be used year-round, even in the winter when it congeals at incredibly low temperatures. It’s PVA friendly and can be poured over spod mixes, boilies, pellets, or stick mixes to add another dimension to your baited area.
By adding hemp oil to your groundbait and stick mixes, you’ll create edges that can massively transform your catches and match results. It’s a simple yet effective way to give yourself an advantage on the water and increase your chances of success.