Are you considering using hemp oil for your acne-prone skin but worried about the possibility of purging?
You’re not alone. Many people wonder if hemp oil can cause purging, especially those who have experienced breakouts after trying new skincare products.
The good news is that hemp oil is non-comedogenic and can be used for almost all skin types, including oily and acne-prone skin. In fact, it can help reduce various types of acne by adjusting how the body creates sebum.
But is hemp oil alone enough to treat your acne or skin breakouts?
In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of using hemp oil for acne and whether it can cause purging. So, sit back, relax, and let’s dive into the world of hemp oil skincare!
Does Hemp Oil Cause Purging?
Purging is a common concern when trying out new skincare products, especially those that claim to treat acne. Purging occurs when a product causes the skin to shed dead skin cells and unclog pores, leading to an initial increase in breakouts before the skin clears up.
So, does hemp oil cause purging?
The answer is not straightforward. Hemp oil itself is unlikely to cause purging since it is non-comedogenic and does not clog pores. However, if you are using a hemp oil product that contains other active ingredients like salicylic acid, you may experience purging.
Salicylic acid is a well-known acne-fighting ingredient that gets into your pores and cleans them of the debris that causes a clogged pore. When combined with hemp oil, it can be an effective treatment for acne. However, salicylic acid can cause purging as it unclogs pores and brings impurities to the surface.
It’s important to note that purging is not the same as an allergic reaction or irritation. If you experience redness, itching, or swelling after using hemp oil, it may be an allergic reaction or irritation and not purging.
What Is Hemp Oil And How Does It Work On The Skin?
Hemp oil is a natural oil that comes from the seeds, flowers, or leaves of the Cannabis sativa plant. It contains a variety of beneficial molecules and chemicals that may be helpful for skin health. Hemp oil is rich in fatty acids, including linoleic and oleic acids, which play a significant role in slowing down the skin’s aging process and supporting the skin’s overall health.
Hemp oil is perfect for most skin types as it can moisturize without clogging pores. It can even help to balance out oily skin by hydrating it and regulating the skin’s oil production. Dryness can also cause your skin to overproduce oil, which in turn, can stimulate acne. Hemp oil can prevent dry skin without clogging pores, helping to reduce acne that’s caused by excess oil.
Hemp oil also has anti-inflammatory properties that are still being studied, but the omega-6 fatty acids in hemp oil are known to encourage new cell generation and mitigate irritation, soothing conditions like acne. It can also help improve inflammatory skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis, acne scarring, and dry skin.
Hemp seed oil doesn’t contain THC or very much CBD, and has its own unique nutritional profile and health benefits, especially to the skin. Since hemp seed oil is rich in omega-3 and 6 fatty acids, it’s also rich in anti-inflammatory agents. Inflammation in the skin can lead to stressed out, misbehaving skin that can break out in acne spots or cause conditions such as rosacea or eczema to become worse.
Benefits Of Using Hemp Oil For Acne-Prone Skin
Hemp oil is a great natural remedy for acne-prone skin. Its unique nutritional profile and health benefits make it an effective treatment option for those with oily and blemish-prone skin. Here are some of the benefits of using hemp oil for acne-prone skin:
1. Regulates Sebum Production: Hemp seed oil is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which help to moderate oil production when applied to the skin. This means that those with oily skin can use hemp seed oil on their skin without having to worry about excess oil production and shine. It also means that those with acne-prone skin can use products containing hemp seed oil to help both moisturize and support their skin without upsetting it or causing acne outbreaks.
2. Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Inflammation in the skin can lead to stressed out, misbehaving skin that can break out in acne spots or cause conditions such as rosacea or eczema to become worse. Hemp seed oil is rich in anti-inflammatory agents, which help to soothe and calm irritated skin. This makes it an effective treatment option for those with inflammatory acne.
3. Nourishes and Moisturizes Skin: Hemp seed oil feeds and nourishes the skin with vitamins A, D, and E, trace minerals, phytonutrients, and Omega fatty acids, which moisturize and protect the skin to keep it healthy, clear, and glowing. It is light and non-greasy, making it perfect for those with acne-prone skin.
4. Non-Comedogenic: Hemp seed oil is non-comedogenic, which means that it will not clog pores. This is important for those with acne-prone skin as clogged pores can lead to breakouts.
Understanding Purging: What Causes It And How To Identify It
Purging is a temporary skin reaction that occurs when using certain skincare products or treatments. It happens when active ingredients in the product speed up the skin’s exfoliation process, causing congestion such as excess sebum and other buildups to rise to the surface. This can result in acne, dryness, flaking, and peeling.
It’s important to note that purging is different from a breakout. A breakout occurs when the skin reacts negatively to a new product or ingredient and can result in pimples, redness, and irritation. Purging, on the other hand, is a sign that the product is working to unclog pores and remove impurities from the skin.
To identify if you are experiencing purging or a breakout, consider the active ingredients present in the product you are using. If it contains an active ingredient that speeds up the skin’s cellular turnover rate, such as salicylic acid or AHA exfoliators, it may cause purging. However, if you are experiencing other forms of irritation like redness or itching, it may be a sign of a breakout or allergic reaction.
It’s also important to note that purging can vary by individual and may last up to a month. After this period, the skin should start clearing up, and the active ingredient should help prevent new pimples from forming.
How To Incorporate Hemp Oil Into Your Skincare Routine
Hemp oil has become a popular ingredient in skincare products due to its hydrating and anti-inflammatory properties. Here are some ways to incorporate hemp oil into your skincare routine:
1. Use it as a moisturizer: After cleansing your face, apply a dime-sized amount of hemp oil to your skin and massage it in. This will leave your skin feeling hydrated and soft.
2. Try a hot cloth oil cleanse: Add hemp seed oil to your cleansing routine by using a muslin cloth with a textured finish for a gentle physical exfoliation. The warmth of the cloth and the steam it creates will help remove dead skin cells without scrubbing, reducing inflammation and irritation.
3. Use it as a makeup remover: Try rubbing a teaspoon of hemp seed oil onto your face and neck until makeup begins to dissolve, then wipe everything off with a wet cloth.
4. Combine it with other anti-inflammatory ingredients: You can create your own hemp oil mixture by combining 1/4 cup of hemp oil with 2 teaspoons of melted coconut oil and 4-5 drops of skin-boosting essential oils like lavender or rosemary. This mixture can be applied directly to the skin for added benefits.
When incorporating hemp oil into your skincare routine, it’s important to patch test first to ensure you won’t have an allergic reaction. Additionally, if you are using a product that contains other active ingredients like salicylic acid, be aware that purging may occur as the product works to unclog pores and bring impurities to the surface. Overall, incorporating hemp oil into your skincare routine can provide many benefits for your skin.
Other Natural Ingredients To Combine With Hemp Oil For Maximum Results
While hemp oil can be effective on its own, combining it with other natural ingredients can enhance its benefits for the skin. Here are some natural ingredients that can be combined with hemp oil for maximum results:
1. Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that make it an effective treatment for acne. When combined with hemp oil, it can help reduce inflammation and prevent breakouts.
2. Aloe Vera: Aloe vera is known for its soothing and moisturizing properties. When combined with hemp oil, it can help calm irritated skin and provide hydration.
3. Chamomile: Chamomile has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce redness and irritation on the skin. When combined with hemp oil, it can provide a calming effect on the skin.
4. Rosehip Oil: Rosehip oil is rich in antioxidants and essential fatty acids that can help improve skin texture and reduce the appearance of scars and fine lines. When combined with hemp oil, it can provide a powerful anti-aging effect on the skin.
5. Witch Hazel: Witch hazel is a natural astringent that can help tighten pores and reduce inflammation. When combined with hemp oil, it can help control oil production and prevent breakouts.