Are you tired of seeing those pesky grey hairs pop up? Are you looking for a natural solution to prevent them from taking over your locks?
Look no further than argan oil. This miracle oil has been praised for its ability to hydrate and protect both hair and scalp, while also promoting thicker, fuller hair. But can it really prevent grey hair?
In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of argan oil for hair and whether or not it can help keep those pesky greys at bay. So sit back, relax, and let’s dive into the world of argan oil and its potential anti-grey hair properties.
Does Argan Oil Prevent Grey Hair?
Argan oil is packed with antioxidants that repair damaged cellular membranes and vitamins E that help bring back imperfect hair to shape. These nutrients also encourage melanocytes to begin producing melanin protein, which is responsible for our natural black pigment. Applying argan oil to your hair can help prevent grey hair by reducing breakage and split ends, preserving a healthy scalp, and promoting hair growth.
However, it’s important to note that using argan oil alone may not be enough to prevent grey hair. It’s essential to use a botanical-based shampoo that contains no sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), gluten, artificial colors, unpleasant additives, parabens, and DEA. Additionally, it’s recommended to use a silver shampoo, conditioner, and nourishing mask specifically designed for grey hair to neutralize any yellow or coppery tones.
Argan oil can also be used as a deep conditioner by leaving it on for an hour before washing it off. This will help keep your hair moisturized and promote hair growth while slowing down the greying process.
The Science Behind Grey Hair
Grey hair is a natural process that occurs as we age. It happens when the melanocytes, which are responsible for producing melanin protein, decrease in number and produce less melanin. Melanin is the pigment that gives hair its natural color. As a result, hair follicles produce less color, resulting in a silvery-grey color.
There are two types of melanin that are present in hair follicles: eumelanin and pheomelanin. Eumelanin results in black and brown hair, while pheomelanin results in red hair. When eumelanin is barely present, pheomelanin dominates, which results in red hair.
As we age, melanocytes decrease in number and less melanin is produced. Hair research suggests that after age 30, there is a 10 to 20 percent decrease in the amount of melanin produced for each following decade. By age 50, half of men and women will have at least 50 percent gray hair.
It’s important to understand that stress does not directly cause grey hair. Hair doesn’t actually “turn” gray at all. Once a hair follicle produces hair, the color is set. If a single strand of hair starts out brown (or red or black or blond), it is never going to change its color (unless you color your hair). However, stress can trigger a condition called telogen effluvium, which causes hair to shed about three times faster than normal. The hair grows back, so the condition doesn’t cause balding. But if you’re middle-aged and your hair is falling out and regenerating more quickly because of stress, it’s possible that the hair that grows in will be gray instead of its original color.
What Is Argan Oil And How Does It Work?
Argan oil, also known as Moroccan Gold, is a natural wonder that has gained worldwide fame due to its unique combination of antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and vitamin E. It is extracted from the kernels of the Argan tree, which grows almost exclusively in southwestern Morocco.
The composition of argan oil makes it an age-old beauty secret with many uses, including helping to hydrate and soften hair, increasing hair elasticity, preventing breakage, protecting hair from mechanical stress caused by hair styling and coloring, and promoting shine, smoothness, and definition.
Argan oil works by restoring damaged cellular membranes with its antioxidants and repairing damaged hair with its vitamin E content. It also encourages melanocytes to begin producing melanin protein responsible for natural black pigment. Applying argan oil to your hair can help prevent grey hair by reducing breakage and split ends, preserving a healthy scalp, and promoting hair growth.
The Benefits Of Argan Oil For Hair
Argan oil has been used for centuries as a natural beauty secret, and for good reason. It’s packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that provide numerous benefits to hair. Here are some of the benefits of using argan oil for hair:
1. Hydrates and softens: Argan oil is a great hydrator and softener for hair. It helps to restore moisture to dry and damaged hair, making it softer and more manageable.
2. Increases hair elasticity: With its high content of antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and vitamin E, argan oil helps to increase hair’s elasticity and restore shine to dull, lifeless hair.
3. Prevents breakage: Argan oil is rich in vitamin E, which helps to neutralize hair damage from free radicals and other elements. This helps to prevent splitting and breakage, keeping your hair healthy and strong.
4. Protects hair from mechanical stress: The composition of argan oil helps to protect hair from mechanical stress caused by styling tools such as hair dryers and curling irons.
5. Increases shine: Argan oil promotes shine, smoothness, and definition, making your hair look healthy and vibrant.
6. Prevents grey hair: Argan oil can help prevent grey hair by reducing breakage and split ends, preserving a healthy scalp, and promoting hair growth.
How To Use Argan Oil For Hair Care
Argan oil is a versatile and nourishing oil that can be used in various ways to promote healthy hair. Here are some ways to use argan oil for hair care:
1. Hair Mask: To create a deep conditioning treatment, massage 8 to 10 drops of argan oil into your hair and scalp. Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it on for at least 30 minutes before washing it off with shampoo.
2. Leave-in Conditioner: Apply 1-2 drops of argan oil through the mid-length and ends of your hair after washing it. This will help moisturize and nourish your hair while also reducing frizz.
3. Styling Product: Use a few drops of argan oil as a styling product before using any hot tools. This will give your hair a glossy finish while also protecting it from damage.
4. Scalp Treatment: Argan oil can be used as a scalp treatment to reduce inflammation and promote healthy hair growth. Massage a few drops of argan oil into your scalp before washing your hair.
5. Hair Growth Treatment: Combine argan oil with coconut oil and massage the mixture into your hair and scalp. Leave it on for 30 minutes to an hour before washing it off with shampoo. This treatment will nourish your hair while also promoting healthy hair growth.
Remember to adjust the amount of argan oil you use based on the length and texture of your hair. It’s also important to clean your hair thoroughly at the end of the day to avoid any residue buildup. With regular use, argan oil can help prevent grey hair by promoting healthy and vibrant-looking hair.
Other Natural Remedies For Grey Hair Prevention
Apart from argan oil, there are several other natural remedies that can help prevent or slow down the greying process of hair. Here are some of them:
1. Coconut oil: Coconut oil is rich in medium-chain fatty acids that penetrate deep into the hair shaft and prevent protein loss. Massaging coconut oil onto the scalp and hair can help nourish and strengthen hair follicles, thus preventing premature greying.
2. Ginger: Ginger contains antioxidants that help improve blood circulation to the scalp, which in turn promotes healthy hair growth and prevents greying. Eating a teaspoon of fresh grated ginger mixed with honey every day can help keep your hair healthy and strong.
3. Black sesame seeds: Black sesame seeds are rich in copper, which is essential for melanin production. Eating a tablespoon of black sesame seeds two to three times a week can help slow down and possibly reverse the greying process.
4. Amla: Amla, also known as Indian gooseberry, is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants that can help prevent premature greying. Drinking six ounces of fresh amla juice every day or massaging your hair with amla oil once a week can help keep your hair healthy and shiny.
5. Rosemary: Rosemary is known for its ability to stimulate hair growth and prevent premature greying. Infusing dried rosemary in extra virgin olive oil for four to six weeks and using it as a hair oil can help nourish and strengthen hair follicles.
6. Onion juice: Onion juice contains sulfur, which is essential for collagen production and hair growth. Rubbing onion juice onto the scalp twice a week and leaving it in place for 30 minutes before shampooing can help prevent greying.
Incorporating these natural remedies into your hair care routine along with using argan oil can help keep your hair healthy, strong, and free from premature greying.