Summer is here, and with it comes long days spent in the sun and fun trips to the beach.
While we all love soaking up the sun, it’s important to remember that prolonged exposure to UV rays can damage our hair, leaving it dry, brittle, and unmanageable.
But fear not! There’s a natural solution that can help protect your hair from the harmful effects of the sun: argan oil.
This versatile oil is packed with antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and vitamins that can help nourish and moisturize your hair, leaving it healthy and shiny.
But does argan oil really work as a sun protectant for your hair? Let’s find out!
Does Argan Oil Help Protect Hair From Sun Damage?
Argan oil is a great natural solution for protecting your hair from sun damage. The oil can be applied to the scalp, hair shaft, and ends before you go out in the sun or to the beach. Argan oil infuses the hair with moisture and nourishment, making it have a healthy shine. The heat and rays of the sun will drive the nutrients from the argan oil deeper into the hair, giving it the benefits of a natural hot oil treatment.
The omega fats, vitamin E, antioxidants, and minerals of argan oil will penetrate the hair, leaving it healthy, hydrated, and nourished. Argan oil can also add an extra layer of UV ray protection to your hair that doesn’t interfere with your skin or hair’s health. While it won’t completely negate the effects of the sun’s rays, the application of argan oil to your hair can help minimize damage.
Argan oil is also great for maintaining balanced scalp oils, which can help prevent dryness, flaking, and itchiness. By reducing breakage and split ends and keeping your scalp healthy, argan oil may help prevent hair loss for thicker, fuller hair.
In addition to protecting your hair from sun damage, argan oil can also handle dandruff and any scalp infection you may worry about. Since it is antifungal and antimicrobial, it makes sure that your scalp is healthy. It maintains the pH levels of your scalp so that it is not too dry or not too oily, which are hotbeds for infections.
What Causes Sun Damage To Hair?
Sun damage to hair is caused by prolonged exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays. The UV rays can penetrate the hair shaft and break down the proteins that give your hair its strength and elasticity. This can lead to dry, brittle, and damaged hair that is difficult to manage. UV rays can also cause the hair cuticle to lift, making it more vulnerable to damage from styling tools and chemicals.
Furthermore, UV rays can also damage the scalp, leading to dryness, flakiness, and irritation. This can cause the hair follicles to weaken and result in hair loss or thinning. Chlorine and saltwater from swimming pools and beaches can also cause damage to the hair by stripping it of its natural oils and leaving it dry and brittle.
Using protective measures such as covering your head with a hat or head cover, using hair treatments before the summer season starts, and rinsing your hair after swimming in chlorinated or saltwater can help prevent sun damage to your hair. Additionally, using argan oil as a natural sun protectant can help minimize damage to your hair while keeping it healthy and nourished.
The Benefits Of Argan Oil For Hair
Argan oil is a versatile and beneficial oil that can provide numerous benefits to your hair. The oil is rich in nutrients like vitamin E, antioxidants, and fatty acids that can help protect your hair from damage caused by heat styling tools, pollution, and other environmental factors.
One of the most significant benefits of argan oil for hair is that it helps to hydrate and soften the hair. The oil can penetrate the hair shaft and provide deep moisture to dry and damaged hair, leaving it feeling softer and more manageable. Argan oil can also help to increase hair elasticity, which can help prevent breakage and split ends.
Another benefit of argan oil for hair is that it can help prevent hair loss. While there is no research available on argan oil specifically for hair loss, its proven benefits for hair and scalp health may prevent hair breakage and hair loss. The powerful antioxidants and nourishing fatty acids in argan oil help keep your hair moisturized and protect against styling damage and damage caused by free radicals. This can result in less breakage and shedding.
Argan oil is also a popular choice for protecting hair from heat damage. It can provide a protective barrier between the hair and the heat source, preventing the hair from becoming dry and brittle. Additionally, it helps to nourish the hair and reduce frizz, which makes it perfect for use with styling tools.
Finally, argan oil can also soothe the scalp, reduce dandruff, and prevent scalp infections. Its anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties make it an excellent choice for maintaining a healthy scalp.
How To Use Argan Oil To Protect Your Hair From The Sun
Applying argan oil to your hair before going out in the sun or to the beach is a simple and effective way to protect your hair from sun damage. Here are some steps to follow:
1. Start with clean, dry hair: Before applying argan oil, make sure your hair is clean and dry. You can wash and condition your hair as you normally would, then towel-dry it before applying the oil.
2. Apply the oil: Take a few drops of argan oil in your palms and rub them together to warm it up. Then, apply it to your scalp, hair shaft, and ends, making sure to distribute it evenly.
3. Comb through: Gently comb through your hair with a wide-tooth comb to ensure that the oil is evenly distributed throughout your hair.
4. Style as desired: You can style your hair as you normally would after applying the oil. The heat and rays of the sun will drive the nutrients from the argan oil deeper into the hair, giving it the benefits of a natural hot oil treatment.
5. Reapply as needed: If you plan on spending a lot of time in the sun or water, you may need to reapply the argan oil throughout the day. Simply repeat steps 2-4 as needed.
In addition to using argan oil as a pre-sun treatment, you can also use it as a post-sun treatment to help repair any damage that may have occurred. Simply apply a few drops of argan oil to your hair after showering or bathing, focusing on the ends where damage is most likely to occur. Massage it in gently and let it air dry or style as desired. With regular use, argan oil can help keep your hair healthy and protected all summer long.
Other Ways To Protect Your Hair From Sun Damage
Aside from using argan oil, there are other ways to protect your hair from sun damage. Here are some tips:
1. Wear a hat or scarf: Covering your hair with a hat or scarf can protect it from the sun’s rays. It also helps to keep your scalp cool and prevent sweat from damaging your hair.
2. Use a leave-in conditioner: A leave-in conditioner can help protect your hair from the sun’s rays by providing a barrier between your hair and the sun. It also helps to keep your hair hydrated, which is important during the summer months.
3. Rinse your hair after swimming: If you’re swimming in a pool or the ocean, make sure to rinse your hair with clean water after you’re done. Chlorine and saltwater can damage your hair if left in for too long.
4. Avoid heat styling: Heat styling tools like flat irons and curling irons can damage your hair even more when it’s already exposed to the sun. Try to avoid using these tools during the summer months and opt for natural hairstyles instead.
5. Use a UV protection spray: There are many UV protection sprays available that are specifically designed to protect your hair from the sun’s rays. Look for one that contains natural ingredients like green tea extract and vitamin E for added nourishment.
By following these tips, you can help protect your hair from sun damage and keep it looking healthy and shiny all summer long.