Are you looking to optimize your workout and gain mass?
Or maybe you’re following a low-carb diet or fasting and struggling to maintain your energy levels during training sessions.
Whatever your fitness goals may be, you may have heard about the benefits of MCT oil and creatine supplementation.
But can you take them together?
In this article, we’ll explore the potential benefits of combining MCT oil and creatine, as well as answer some common questions about each supplement.
So, let’s dive in and find out if MCT oil and creatine are a match made in fitness heaven.
Can I Take MCT Oil With Creatine?
The short answer is yes, you can take MCT oil with creatine. In fact, combining the two supplements may have some potential benefits for your workout routine.
MCT oil is a type of fat that is quickly converted into energy by the body, making it a popular supplement for those following a low-carb or ketogenic diet. It can also help improve athletic performance by providing a quick source of energy for your muscles.
Creatine, on the other hand, is a naturally occurring compound that helps your muscles produce energy during high-intensity exercise. It has been shown to increase muscle mass, strength, and athletic performance.
When taken together, MCT oil and creatine may work synergistically to provide even greater benefits. MCT oil can help improve the absorption and utilization of creatine by your muscles, leading to better results from your workouts.
What Is MCT Oil And How Does It Work?
MCT oil, or medium-chain triglyceride oil, is a type of fat that is extracted from coconut oil and other sources. Unlike long-chain triglycerides (LCTs) found in most foods, MCTs are quickly and easily digested by the body and converted into energy. This makes MCT oil a popular supplement for those following low-carb or ketogenic diets, as well as athletes looking for a quick source of energy.
MCT oil is made up of four different types of medium-chain fatty acids, with caprylic and capric acid being the most commonly used for supplements. These specific types of MCTs have unique benefits, such as improving gut health and reducing inflammation.
When consumed, MCT oil is quickly absorbed by the liver and converted into ketones, which can be used as an alternative energy source for the brain and muscles. This can lead to increased focus and concentration during workouts, as well as improved physical performance.
In addition to its energy-boosting properties, MCT oil has also been shown to have potential benefits for weight loss, reducing body fat and increasing feelings of fullness. It may also have antimicrobial properties that can help fight bacterial growth and infections.
What Is Creatine And How Does It Work?
Creatine is a naturally occurring compound that is found in small amounts in meat and fish. It is also produced by the body in small amounts, primarily in the liver, pancreas, and kidneys. Creatine is stored in your muscles and helps to produce energy during high-intensity exercise.
When you perform high-intensity exercise, such as weightlifting or sprinting, your muscles rapidly use up their energy stores of ATP (adenosine triphosphate). Creatine helps to replenish these stores of ATP, allowing you to perform more reps or sprint faster.
In addition to its energy-producing properties, creatine has been shown to increase muscle mass and strength. It does this by activating several muscle-specific cellular pathways that can lead to muscle growth. When combined with weight training, creatine increases myonuclei, the nuclei in muscle fibers. More myonuclei means more growth. The coolest part – you get to keep the extra myonuclei you make, even if you take a break from training and lose your strength.
Creatine can also increase insulin-like growth factor, which stimulates muscle growth when resistance training.
Benefits Of MCT Oil For Fitness
MCT oil has several benefits for fitness enthusiasts. Firstly, it can help improve athletic endurance by reducing lactate levels, which is an indirect marker of fatigue within exercising muscles. This means that you can exercise for longer periods of time without feeling as tired. A 2009 study found that athletes who took MCT oil before their workouts lowered their rates of perceived exertion during moderate and high-intensity exercise.
Secondly, MCT oil may be used to help reduce body fat and increase fullness. This is because MCTs are more easily digested than longer-chain fatty acids found in many other foods, and they are quickly converted into energy by the body. This means that MCT oil can provide a quick source of energy for your workouts while also helping you to burn more fat.
Thirdly, MCT oil may potentially improve your gut environment by fighting bacterial growth. It can also protect your heart and manage certain neurological conditions.
Fourthly, studies have shown that MCT oil can help improve exercise performance by increasing energy output, burning more fat as fuel, and enhancing exercise endurance. This is because MCTs can be rapidly used by the muscles while allowing them to conserve glycogen stores. Glycogen is an important fuel source for both endurance and resistance exercise.
Finally, MCT oil may also be helpful for those just starting the ketogenic diet. The decrease of carbohydrates around your workout window might have you feeling a bit sluggish and fatigued before your body switches to using ketones for fuel; however, MCT oil can help negate this effect.
Benefits Of Creatine For Fitness
Creatine is an excellent supplement for those looking to improve their fitness and athletic performance. It works by increasing the amount of energy available to your muscles during high-intensity exercise, allowing you to work out harder and longer. Here are some specific benefits of creatine for fitness:
1. Increased energy production: Creatine helps produce ATP, which is your cells’ most basic form of energy. By increasing ATP production, creatine can help you perform better during high-intensity exercise, leading to improved performance and increased strength.
2. Improved muscle mass: Creatine has been shown to increase muscle mass when combined with resistance training. It does this by activating muscle-specific cellular pathways that lead to muscle growth.
3. Enhanced recovery: Creatine may also help improve recovery time between workouts by reducing muscle damage and inflammation.
4. Improved cognitive function: Some research suggests that creatine may also have cognitive benefits, such as improving memory and reducing mental fatigue.
How To Take MCT Oil And Creatine For Optimal Results
If you’re interested in taking MCT oil and creatine together for optimal results, here are some tips to follow:
1. Timing: Take MCT oil about 45-60 minutes before your workout to provide your muscles with a quick source of energy. Take creatine 30 minutes before your workout to help improve athletic performance.
2. Dosage: The recommended dosage for MCT oil is 1-2 tablespoons per day. For creatine, start with a loading phase of 20 grams per day for the first week, then reduce to 3-5 grams per day for maintenance.
3. Combination: You can mix MCT oil and creatine together in a pre-workout shake for convenience. Add fast-acting carbs to the shake to help improve absorption and utilization of both supplements.
4. Hydration: It’s important to stay hydrated when taking MCT oil and creatine, as they both have a dehydrating effect on the body. Drink plenty of water throughout the day to avoid dehydration.
5. Consistency: To see optimal results from MCT oil and creatine, it’s important to take them consistently over time. Don’t skip doses or take breaks for more than three days when taking creatine to maintain its benefits.
By following these tips, you can safely and effectively combine MCT oil and creatine for improved athletic performance and muscle-building results. As always, it’s important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement regimen.