Are you tired of spending a fortune on cosmetic products that promise to give you beautiful, glowing skin, only to end up with dry, irritated skin?
Look no further than your kitchen cupboard for a powerful beauty enhancing ingredient – green gram flour.
This highly potent ingredient not only has several health benefits, but it can also be added to your beauty regime to deal with skin problems such as dryness and acne.
In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of green gram flour for dry skin and how you can use it to achieve a flawless complexion.
Say goodbye to expensive skincare products and hello to natural, radiant skin.
Is Green Gram Flour Good For Dry Skin?
Green gram flour, also known as moong dal, is an excellent ingredient for dry skin. It is a brilliant detergent that can be used as a substitute for soap and is rich in vitamins A and C, which help in giving a healthy glow to the skin.
Dry skin can be caused by several factors such as harsh weather conditions, dehydration, and using harsh soaps or skincare products. Green gram flour can help combat dryness by nourishing and exfoliating the skin. It removes dead skin cells and brightens up the texture of the skin, leaving it soft and supple.
What Is Green Gram Flour?
Green gram flour is a fine powder that is obtained from split green moong beans. The beans are first cleaned, roasted, and ground to produce the flour after removing the seed coat. It is a versatile ingredient that can be combined with other flours to make flatbreads and is also widely used in South Indian dishes.
Green gram dal or moong dal, as it is commonly known in India, is a tiny circular shaped bean that is green in color and has a sweet flavor. The mature whole or split seeds are used to make soup (Dal), while the immature pods and young leaves are used as a vegetable. The split seeds have their green testa removed and are pale yellow in color. They can be toasted and ground into flour, called gram flour, which should not be confused with chickpea flour, also known as Besan.
Green gram flour is fresh, untreated, and healthy. It is a popular choice for calorie-conscious people as it is super low on calories. Additionally, it is a high-quality source of calcium and iron and is free from synthetic chemicals and pesticides. Green gram flour is also rich in protein, folate, vitamin B9, folic acid, and antioxidants that reduce the damage done by free radicals to the blood vessels and reduce inflammation. It is heart- and diabetes-friendly and high on fiber.
Nutritional Benefits Of Green Gram Flour
Green gram flour is loaded with numerous nutrients that are beneficial for the skin. It contains high levels of folate, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pyridoxine, zinc, magnesium, calcium, and phytonutrients called flavones. These nutrients help in reducing inflammation and provide potent antioxidant properties that assist in triggering immunity.
The isoflavones present in green gram flour have powerful antioxidant properties that help in boosting immunity and fighting off free radicals that cause cellular damage. The flour is also an excellent source of iron, zinc, and vitamin B6, which are associated with improving the immune system. These nutrients help in increasing the number of white blood cells, which in turn helps in defending the body against the attack of disease.
Green gram flour is also rich in fiber, which helps to remove toxins from the body and improve digestion. The threonine present in green gram flour may boost the immune system by enhancing the production of antibodies. It produces serine and glycine which are essential for collagen, muscle tissue, and elastin production. This helps to make healthy and strong connective muscles and tissues by increasing the production of serine and glycine.
In addition to its immune-boosting properties, green gram flour also has potent bioactive compounds with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties that may help prevent neurodegenerative diseases, improve blood lipids and lower blood pressure. Its anti-diabetes and anti-cancer effects are well-documented.
How Green Gram Flour Helps Dry Skin
Green gram flour is a highly potent beauty ingredient that can help dry skin in several ways. Here are some of the ways green gram flour can help:
1. Hydrates the Skin: Green gram flour is rich in moisture content, which helps to hydrate the skin and prevent dryness. It also contains proteins that help to repair and rejuvenate the skin.
2. Exfoliates the Skin: The granules in green gram flour act as a natural exfoliator, removing dead skin cells and promoting cell regeneration. This helps to reveal fresh, healthy skin and prevent dryness.
3. Soothes Inflammation: Green gram flour has anti-inflammatory properties that help to soothe inflammation and irritation caused by dryness. It also helps to reduce redness and itching, making it an excellent ingredient for sensitive skin.
4. Improves Skin Texture: Regular use of green gram flour can improve skin texture by making it soft, smooth, and supple. It also helps to even out skin tone and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
To use green gram flour for dry skin, mix it with water or rosewater to form a paste. Apply the paste on your face and leave it on for 15-20 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. You can also add other ingredients such as honey, milk, or yogurt to enhance its moisturizing properties.
DIY Green Gram Flour Face Masks For Dry Skin
Here are some DIY green gram flour face masks that you can make at home to treat your dry skin:
1. Moisturizing Face Pack: Take one ripe banana, one tablespoon of honey, and one tablespoon of green gram flour. Mix all the ingredients together to form a smooth paste. Apply it on your face and leave it on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse it off with lukewarm water and pat your skin dry. This face pack will deeply moisturize your skin and leave it feeling soft and supple.
2. Skin Brightening Face Mask: Soak 50g of green gram dal overnight and blend it into a coarse pulp in the morning. Add one tablespoon of raw honey and almond oil to the mix. Apply this facial mask on your face evenly and leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse it off with cold water and pat your skin dry. This face mask will hydrate and exfoliate your skin, improving its texture and giving it a natural glow.
3. Dry Skin Treatment Face Mask: Soak two teaspoons of green gram dal in milk overnight. In the morning, make a fine paste out of it and apply it to your neck and face in whole. Leave it on for twenty minutes, then rinse it off with ice water and dry thoroughly. Repeat this process three times a week to hydrate your skin.
4. Acne Treatment Face Mask: If you have continuous acne problems, this green gram flour face mask is a must-try for you. Soak some green grams in water for a complete night, then blend the green gram beans to form a paste. Mix some melted ghee into your paste, then massage your face with the paste with your fingertips. Use it twice or thrice per week to get rid of acne.
5. Scar Removal Face Mask: Combine two teaspoons of green gram flour, half a teaspoon of turmeric powder, two teaspoons of sandalwood powder, and one teaspoon of milk to form a smooth paste. Apply it all over your face and leave it on until it dries completely. Rinse it off with cold water to reduce the appearance of acne scars.
Other Uses Of Green Gram Flour For Skin
Apart from nourishing and exfoliating dry skin, green gram flour has several other uses for skin care. Here are some of them:
1. Acne Treatment – Gram flour has certain properties that treat acne and has been used for this purpose in India for centuries. The zinc in besan has been shown to fight the infections that cause your face to erupt with acne. Secondly, it also helps control excess sebum production and soothes inflamed skin. You can make a face pack with green gram powder, turmeric, and honey to treat acne-prone skin.
2. Skin Lightening – Green gram powder is rich in vitamin B, which serves as an effective skin-lightening agent and works on reducing pigmentation on your skin. You can make a face pack with green gram powder, powdered orange peel, honey, and milk to clear spots on your skin.
3. Hair Removal – Green gram flour is an excellent natural hair removal agent. You can mix it with rose water and apply it on your face or body to remove unwanted hair.
4. Anti-Aging – Green gram flour is rich in antioxidants that help fight free radicals and prevent premature aging of the skin. You can make a face pack with green gram powder, yogurt, and honey to prevent wrinkles and fine lines.
Precautions And Tips For Using Green Gram Flour On Skin
While green gram flour is generally considered safe for use on the skin, there are a few precautions and tips to keep in mind when using it on dry skin:
1. Patch test: Before applying green gram flour on your face, it is important to do a patch test on a small area of your skin to check for any allergic reactions or irritation.
2. Avoid using on broken skin: If you have any cuts, wounds, or open sores on your skin, avoid using green gram flour as it may cause further irritation.
3. Do not over-exfoliate: While green gram flour is an excellent exfoliator, it is important not to overdo it. Over-exfoliating can lead to dryness and irritation, so limit its use to once or twice a week.
4. Use with moisturizing ingredients: To maximize the benefits of green gram flour on dry skin, mix it with moisturizing ingredients such as honey, yogurt, or milk. This will help keep your skin hydrated and prevent further dryness.
5. Rinse thoroughly: After using green gram flour on your skin, make sure to rinse it off thoroughly with lukewarm water. Leaving any residue on your skin can cause further dryness and irritation.
By following these precautions and tips, you can safely and effectively use green gram flour on your dry skin to achieve a healthy and radiant glow.