Are you looking for a gluten-free alternative to regular flour that can help you lose weight?
Look no further than gram flour, also known as besan or chickpea flour.
This versatile ingredient is a staple in Indian cuisine and is packed with nutrients like fiber, protein, iron, and folate.
But can it really help you shed those extra pounds?
In this article, we’ll explore the health benefits of gram flour and how it can aid in weight loss.
So, grab a cup of tea and let’s dive in!
Is Gram Flour Good For Weight Loss?
The short answer is yes, gram flour can be good for weight loss.
Gram flour is a highly nutritious and filling alternative to regular flours like whole wheat or maida. It contains calories, protein, carbohydrates, and good fats which help to boost energy. In fact, it has more good fat than whole wheat flour.
One of the key benefits of gram flour is its low glycemic index, which means it doesn’t cause a spike in blood sugar levels. This makes it a great option for people with diabetes or those who are trying to manage their weight.
Additionally, gram flour is rich in fiber, which helps to keep you feeling full for longer periods of time. This can prevent overeating and snacking between meals, leading to a reduction in overall calorie intake.
Research has also shown that gram flour can improve metabolism due to its fibrous content that burns calories and aids in weight loss. It contains fewer calories than wheat flour and can calm hunger quickly, keeping the stomach full for a longer period of time.
What Is Gram Flour And How Is It Made?
Gram flour, also known as besan or chickpea flour, is a type of flour made from ground chickpeas. It is commonly used in Indian, Pakistani, and Bangladeshi cuisine as a staple ingredient for dishes like pakoras, chillas, and dhokla.
To make gram flour, whole dried chickpeas are ground into a fine powder. The skins are usually removed before grinding to create a smoother texture. The flour can be made from both black or white chickpeas, but the white variety is more commonly used.
Gram flour is highly versatile and can be used in a variety of dishes. It can be mixed with water or other liquids to create a batter for frying or baking. It can also be used as a thickener in soups and stews.
In addition to its weight loss benefits, gram flour is also rich in nutrients like fiber, protein, iron, and folate. It is also gluten-free, making it a great option for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
Nutritional Benefits Of Gram Flour
Gram flour, also known as besan or chickpea flour, is a great source of nutrition for those looking to lose weight. It is packed with fiber, iron, and folate which makes it a perfect addition to your diet.
One cup of chickpea flour provides about 10 grams of fiber, which is triple the amount of fiber in white flour. Fiber offers numerous health benefits, including improved blood fat levels. Chickpea fiber, in particular, has been associated with reduced total cholesterol levels and LDL (bad) cholesterol levels.
Chickpeas also contain a type of fiber called resistant starch, which has been linked to several health benefits including reduced risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and colon cancer. Gram flour can also help increase your iron intake and prevent anemia.
In terms of weight loss, gram flour is a great food ingredient for those looking to keep their calorie intake in check. When compared with an equal portion of wheat flour, besan contains up to 25% fewer calories. Consuming the same portion size with fewer calories may promote weight loss by reducing overall calorie intake while ensuring you don’t go hungry.
Furthermore, gram flour has been found to induce weight loss due to its fiber and protein content. Protein has a high thermic effect, meaning your body burns calories just by breaking down protein into amino acids. Consuming gram flour can help you eat fewer calories during the day and boost fat burning while upping your nutritional level.
How Gram Flour Can Aid In Weight Loss
Gram flour can aid in weight loss in several ways. Firstly, it is high in fiber, which helps to keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer periods of time. This can prevent overeating and snacking between meals, leading to a reduction in overall calorie intake.
Secondly, gram flour has a low glycemic index, which means it doesn’t cause a spike in blood sugar levels. This is important because high blood sugar levels can lead to increased hunger and cravings for sugary foods, which can sabotage weight loss efforts.
Thirdly, gram flour is a rich source of protein, which is essential for building and repairing muscle tissue. Muscle tissue burns more calories than fat tissue, so having more muscle can help to increase metabolism and aid in weight loss.
Lastly, gram flour contains fewer calories than wheat flour, making it a great alternative for those looking to reduce their calorie intake. It works best as a gluten-free alternative to wheat flour without compromising much on the nutrition part.
Gram Flour Recipes For Weight Loss
If you’re looking to incorporate gram flour into your diet for weight loss, there are several delicious recipes to try. Here are some of the best gram flour recipes for weight loss:
1. Missi Roti – This Punjabi flatbread is made with whole wheat flour, gram flour, and spices. It has a nutty flavor and slightly crispy texture, making it a great option for a filling and nutritious meal.
2. Cheela – This savory pancake is made with gram flour, spices, and herbs. You can add grated veggies to make it even more nutritious. It’s a quick and easy meal that can be enjoyed for breakfast or lunch.
3. Methi Thepla – These flatbreads are made from fresh fenugreek leaves, whole wheat flour, and gram flour. They can be eaten anytime of the day and are great when served with plain yogurt or pickles.
4. Bread Pakora – This popular snack is made by stuffing spiced mashed potatoes between slices of bread and then dipping them in a gram flour batter before frying. It’s a tasty and filling snack that can be enjoyed in moderation.
5. Eggless Tomato Omelette – This vegetarian omelette is made with gram flour, tomatoes, onions, and Indian herbs and spices. It’s a low-fat, gluten-free, and vegan dish that’s perfect for breakfast or brunch.
6. Besan Toast – This quick breakfast recipe can be made in just 15-20 minutes. All you need is besan, Indian spices-herbs, and bread. It’s a great option for busy mornings when you need something filling but don’t have much time.
7. Besan Oats Chilla – This healthy chilla recipe is made with oats, gram flour, and spices-herbs. It takes less than 30 minutes to make and is soft with the taste of oats in it.
8. Oats Uttapam – This healthy and instant recipe of uttapam is made with oats, rava, and besan. It’s topped with veggies like onion, bell pepper, and tomatoes for added nutrition.
9. Instant Thalipeeth – This spiced flatbread is made from multigrain flour and makes for a healthy and nutritious breakfast or snack.
Precautions To Take When Using Gram Flour For Weight Loss
While gram flour can be a great addition to a weight loss diet, it is important to take some precautions when using it for this purpose. Here are some things to keep in mind:
1. Watch your portion sizes: While gram flour is lower in calories than wheat flour, it still contains calories. Consuming too much of it can lead to weight gain instead of weight loss. Make sure to measure out your portions and stick to the recommended serving sizes.
2. Be mindful of added ingredients: Gram flour is often used in traditional Indian dishes that may contain added oils, ghee, or sugar. These additions can quickly add up in terms of calories and hinder your weight loss efforts. Stick to recipes that use minimal added ingredients or try to substitute with healthier options.
3. Don’t rely solely on gram flour: While gram flour can be a great addition to your diet, it should not be the only thing you consume for weight loss. Make sure to incorporate a variety of nutrient-dense foods into your meals to ensure you are getting all the necessary vitamins and minerals.
4. Consult with a healthcare professional: If you have any underlying health conditions or are on any medications, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before making any major changes to your diet. They can help you determine if gram flour is a good option for you and provide guidance on how to incorporate it into your diet safely and effectively.
By taking these precautions, you can safely and effectively use gram flour as a tool for weight loss. Remember to always listen to your body and make adjustments as necessary based on your individual needs and goals.