Are you tired of using chemical-laden hair products that promise to give you luscious locks but end up damaging your hair? Look no further than your kitchen pantry for a natural solution – rice flour!
Rice flour has been used for centuries in Asian cultures for its numerous benefits for scalp and hair health. From cleansing and strengthening to repairing damaged hair, rice flour is a versatile ingredient that can transform your hair care routine.
In this article, we will explore different ways to apply rice flour on hair and reap its benefits. Say goodbye to bad hair days and hello to healthy, shiny locks with the power of rice flour!
How To Apply Rice Flour On Hair?
There are several ways to apply rice flour on hair, depending on your hair type and desired results. Here are some methods you can try:
1. Rice Flour and Gram Flour Hair Wash: Mix two teaspoons of rice flour and two teaspoons of gram flour with a small amount of water. Mix well and use on your scalp the way you would use shampoo. Do not apply on the length of the hair. Rinse off thoroughly with water. This method helps to cleanse the scalp, remove product buildup, and promote healthy hair growth.
2. Rice Flour and Orange Peel Hair Mask: Rice flour and orange peel both possess skin lightening properties. To add to this, the natural acids present in yogurt also exfoliate the skin and make it glow. Take equal amounts of rice flour and orange peel powder. Add yogurt to make a smooth paste. Apply this paste on cleansed skin and leave it on for 20 minutes. Later, rinse it off with normal water. Repeat this at least twice a week for maximum benefits.
3. Jasmine Rice Powder Hair Wash: Use Happy Earth’s Jasmine Rice Powder as a hair wash. Mix the rice powder with water until it turns into a paste. Apply it to wet hair and massage it into the hair roots and scalp. Wait for 10-15 minutes before rinsing off. This method helps to exfoliate the scalp, absorb excess oil, and leave hair feeling soft and smooth.
4. Rice Flour and Fuller’s Earth Hair Pack: Take rice flour and Fuller’s earth (multani mitti) in equal quantities and mix well to make a fine paste. Apply it as a pack on your hair. Keep the paste for about 30 minutes then rinse off with cold water. Regular use of this homemade hair pack can straighten your hair.
The Benefits Of Rice Flour For Hair
Rice flour is a versatile ingredient that has numerous benefits for hair. It is an excellent cleanser that helps to maintain a clean and healthy scalp by removing product buildup, excess oil, and anything that clogs the hair follicles. Rice flour also possesses deep cleansing properties that rid the scalp of dirt and oil, leaving it refreshed and healthy.
Rice flour is rich in amino acids, which help to repair damaged hair by nourishing the scalp and hair follicles. This results in strong and shiny hair that is free of frizz, tangles, and hair breakage. Rice flour also improves hair elasticity, resulting in less breakage and hair loss.
In addition to its cleansing and repairing properties, rice flour also acts as a conditioning agent and protein treatment for hair. The amino acids in rice flour help to coat the hair strands, making them smoother and more manageable. This gives you healthy-looking hair that is free of frizz and tangles.
Rice flour also possesses antiseptic properties that keep away germs and fungal infections from occurring on the scalp. It is a natural ingredient that is gentle on the skin and does not cause any irritation or side effects.
How To Make Rice Flour At Home
Rice flour is a versatile ingredient that can be used in various hair masks and packs. Making rice flour at home is easy and can be done in a few simple steps. Here’s how:
1. Rinse and Soak: Take the required quantity of rice and rinse it in water a couple of times. Then, soak the rice in enough water for 2 to 3 hours. Soaking the rice grains for a longer time helps them to grind well.
2. Dry the Rice: After 2 to 3 hours, drain all the water from the soaked rice. Spread the rice grains on a large clean kitchen napkin or towel. Let them dry in shade or under a fan for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Do not dry them in the sun.
3. Grind the Rice: Once the rice grains are completely dry, transfer them to a high powered blender, food processor, or coffee grinder (if using a coffee grinder, make sure it is clean so it doesn’t taste like coffee). Pulse on high for 1 minute until the rice grinds into a very fine powder. If the powder gets hot (from friction), allow it to cool for a few minutes before running again. Feel the rice flour between your fingers, and if it feels gritty, blend longer.
4. Sift the Rice Flour: Once you’ve achieved a uniformly fine powder, pass it through a mesh strainer or sifter to remove any hard pieces of rice that would otherwise be detectable in your hair masks or packs.
5. Store the Rice Flour: Store the homemade rice flour in a sealed jar in a cool dry place for up to 3 months.
By following these simple steps, you can make your own rice flour at home and use it in various hair masks and packs for healthy and shiny hair.
Rice Flour Hair Mask Recipes
Here are some rice flour hair mask recipes that you can try at home:
1. Rice Flour and Multani Mitti Hair Mask: Mix a tablespoon each of rice flour and multani mitti or fuller’s earth. Add a little water and stir into a smooth paste. Adjust the quantity in accordance with the length of your hair. Apply to your hair from roots to ends and let it sit for up to 20 minutes. Rinse well with water. Use twice a week for the best results. This mask is good for maintaining artificially straightened hair.
2. Rice Flour and Yogurt Hair Mask: Mix two tablespoons of rice flour with one tablespoon of yogurt and one tablespoon of honey. Mix well to form a smooth paste. Apply this mask to your hair and scalp, massaging it gently. Leave it on for 30 minutes before rinsing off with water. This mask helps to nourish and hydrate the hair, leaving it soft and shiny.
3. Fermented Rice Water and Rice Flour Hair Mask: Once you have collected your rice water, leave it at room temperature for a day or until it turns slightly sour, implying that it has started to ferment. To make the hair mask, mix two tablespoons of fermented rice water with two tablespoons of rice flour. Apply this mixture to your hair and scalp, massaging it gently. Leave it on for 30 minutes before rinsing off with water. This mask helps to promote healthy hair growth, strengthen the hair, and prevent hair loss.
4. Rice Flour and Coconut Oil Hair Mask: Mix two tablespoons of rice flour with one tablespoon of coconut oil and one tablespoon of honey. Mix well to form a smooth paste. Apply this mask to your hair and scalp, massaging it gently. Leave it on for 30 minutes before rinsing off with water. This mask helps to nourish and moisturize the hair, leaving it soft and shiny.
Tips For Using Rice Flour On Hair
If you’re new to using rice flour on your hair, here are some tips to keep in mind:
1. Start with a small amount: When trying out a new hair treatment, it’s always best to start with a small amount and see how your hair reacts. Use a teaspoon or two of rice flour to begin with, and adjust the quantity as needed.
2. Mix well: Whether you’re making a hair wash or a hair mask, make sure to mix the rice flour well with the other ingredients. This will ensure that the mixture is smooth and easy to apply.
3. Apply only on the scalp: When using rice flour as a hair wash or pack, apply it only on your scalp and not on the length of your hair. This will prevent your hair from drying out or becoming too heavy.
4. Rinse thoroughly: After using rice flour on your hair, make sure to rinse it off thoroughly with water. Any leftover residue can cause your hair to become sticky or weighed down.
5. Be consistent: For best results, use rice flour on your hair regularly. Depending on your hair type and needs, you can use it once or twice a week.
By following these tips, you can effectively use rice flour on your hair and enjoy its many benefits for healthy, shiny locks.
Precautions And Possible Side Effects
While rice flour can provide numerous benefits to your hair, it is essential to take precautions and be aware of possible side effects. Here are some things to keep in mind:
1. Dryness: Rice flour can cause dryness to your hair, especially if you leave it on for too long. To avoid this, you can mix the rice flour with conditioning ingredients like coconut oil or yogurt.
2. Protein Overload: Rice flour is rich in protein, which is good for hair growth. However, overuse of rice flour can cause protein overload, leading to brittle and dry hair. It is recommended to use rice flour only once or twice a week.
3. Fermentation Odor: If you leave the rice water for too long, it can ferment and create a pungent smell that can be challenging to get rid of. To avoid this, use fresh rice water or add essential oils to mask the odor.
4. Scalp Conditions: People with dermatitis or other scalp conditions should use caution when using rice flour. While some studies suggest that starch in rice water can help heal damaged skin, it could exacerbate the condition in others.
5. Hair Type: Different hair types react differently to rice flour. People with fine hair may experience more issues than those with curly or coarse hair. If your hair isn’t reacting well to rice flour, it’s best to remove it from your hair care routine.