Is Blue Cheese Dangerous For Dogs? (Explained By Experts)

If you’re a cheese lover, you may be tempted to share your favorite blue cheese with your furry friend. However, before you do, it’s important to know that blue cheese can be dangerous for dogs.

While cheese in general is usually not toxic for dogs, the addition of a certain fungus in blue cheeses can prove problematic and bring on a range of symptoms.

In this article, we’ll explore the potential dangers of feeding blue cheese to your dog and what you should do if your dog accidentally ingests it.

So, let’s dive in and learn more about this cheesy topic!

Is Blue Cheese Dangerous For Dogs?

Yes, blue cheese can be dangerous for dogs. The fungus used to make blue cheeses, such as stilton and Roquefort, produces a substance called roquefortine C, which dogs can be sensitive to. This substance can cause a range of symptoms, including vomiting, diarrhea, high temperatures, and even seizures.

The risk of these symptoms is higher if your dog eats a large amount of cheese. If you notice any of these signs after your dog eats blue cheese, it’s important to call your vet urgently.

In addition to the potential toxicity of roquefortine C, high-fat cheeses can also cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs, especially if they eat a lot of them. If you’re worried about your dog’s health after eating cheese, it’s best to call your vet for advice.

What Is Blue Cheese?

Blue cheese is a type of cheese that is made by adding a specific type of mold to the curdled milk. This mold, called Penicillium roqueforti, gives the cheese its distinctive blue veins and tangy flavor. Blue cheese is usually aged for several months, during which time the mold continues to grow and develop.

While blue cheese is a popular food among humans, it can be dangerous for dogs. The mold used to make blue cheese can produce a substance called roquefortine C, which can cause a range of symptoms in dogs. This substance can be toxic to dogs, especially if they consume a large amount of it.

It’s important to keep blue cheeses like stilton and Roquefort away from your dog at all times. If your dog accidentally ingests blue cheese, it’s best to call your vet for advice on what to do next. Symptoms of blue cheese poisoning in dogs can range from mild stomach upset to life-threatening seizures, so it’s important to act quickly if you notice any signs of illness in your pet.

Symptoms Of Blue Cheese Poisoning In Dogs

If your dog has eaten blue cheese and is suffering from blue cheese poisoning, there are several symptoms that you should look out for. These can include:

1. Vomiting: This is a common symptom of blue cheese poisoning in dogs. Your dog may vomit repeatedly or have difficulty keeping food down.

2. Diarrhea: Along with vomiting, your dog may also have diarrhea. This can be quite severe and may contain blood.

3. High temperature: If your dog has eaten a large amount of blue cheese, they may develop a high temperature. This can be a sign of infection or inflammation in the body.

4. Seizures: In severe cases of blue cheese poisoning, your dog may experience seizures. These can be very distressing for both you and your pet.

5. Restlessness: Your dog may become restless and agitated if they are suffering from blue cheese poisoning. They may have difficulty settling down or sleeping.

6. Disorientation: Your dog may seem confused or disoriented if they have eaten too much blue cheese. They may have difficulty walking or standing up straight.

7. Tremors: Another symptom of blue cheese poisoning is tremors or shaking. This can affect the whole body or just one area, such as the legs.

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog after they have eaten blue cheese, it’s important to seek veterinary attention immediately. Blue cheese poisoning can be very serious and even life-threatening if left untreated. Your vet will be able to advise you on the best course of action for your pet and may recommend treatment such as intravenous fluids or medication to control seizures or vomiting.

What Should You Do If Your Dog Eats Blue Cheese?

If you suspect that your dog has eaten blue cheese, it’s important to act quickly. The first step is to call your veterinarian immediately. They will be able to advise you on the best course of action based on your dog’s symptoms and overall health.

If your dog is showing signs of vomiting, diarrhea, or any other symptoms, it’s important to monitor them closely. Keep them hydrated with plenty of water and make sure they are resting comfortably. Do not give them any other food or treats until you have spoken with your vet.

Depending on the severity of the symptoms, your vet may recommend bringing your dog in for an examination. They may also suggest inducing vomiting or administering medications to help alleviate the symptoms.

It’s important to remember that prevention is always better than cure. To avoid any potential health risks, it’s best to keep blue cheese and other high-fat cheeses away from your dog. Stick to safe and healthy treats specifically designed for dogs, and always consult with your vet if you have any concerns about your dog’s diet or health.

Other Foods To Avoid Giving Your Dog.

While blue cheese is a definite no for dogs, there are also other human foods that you should avoid giving to your furry friend. Some of these foods include:

1. Chocolate – Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine, which can be toxic to dogs. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even death.

2. Grapes and Raisins – Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. Even a small amount can be dangerous, so it’s best to avoid giving them to your dog altogether.

3. Onions and Garlic – Onions and garlic contain compounds that can damage a dog’s red blood cells, leading to anemia. Symptoms include weakness, vomiting, and breathing difficulties.

4. Avocado – Avocado contains persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs.

5. Alcohol – Alcohol can be extremely dangerous for dogs, even in small amounts. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, and even death.

6. Coffee and Tea – Caffeine is toxic to dogs and can cause restlessness, rapid breathing, heart palpitations, muscle tremors, and even seizures.

7. Macadamia Nuts – Macadamia nuts can cause vomiting, hyperthermia, tremors, and weakness in dogs.

It’s important to remember that dogs have different digestive systems than humans and may not be able to tolerate certain foods that we can eat without any issues. If you’re unsure about whether a particular food is safe for your dog to eat, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and avoid giving it to them altogether.