Can You Be Allergic To Blue Cheese? The Key Facts

Blue cheese is a beloved delicacy that has been enjoyed for centuries. With its distinct flavor and texture, it’s no wonder why it’s a popular choice for cheese lovers.

However, for some people, consuming blue cheese can lead to unpleasant allergic reactions. In this article, we’ll explore the question of whether or not you can be allergic to blue cheese.

We’ll take a closer look at the science behind blue cheese, the molds that are used in its production, and the potential risks for those with allergies.

So, if you’re a fan of blue cheese or simply curious about food allergies, keep reading to learn more.

Can You Be Allergic To Blue Cheese?

The short answer is yes, you can be allergic to blue cheese. Blue cheese contains two main allergenic substances: milk and mold.

Milk allergy is the most common food allergy in children and adults. The main ingredient used to make blue cheese is milk. If you have a milk allergy, you need to avoid all products that contain blue cheese, including yogurt and ice cream. Even consuming a small amount of milk can cause allergic reactions such as vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, skin rashes, shortness of breath, and chest tightness.

The molds found in blue cheese are forms of Penicillin, which is a common allergen. In the United Kingdom, 2.7 million people report or self-report a penicillin allergy. However, this is incorrect in up to 95% of cases. Furthermore, there is a shortage of trained allergists, resulting in confusion as to whether or not a person’s allergy is an IgG or IgE reaction. This results in misdiagnoses, which has further complications in the prescription of antibiotics.

If you have a mold allergy, eating blue cheese can trigger mold allergy symptoms. Mold allergies commonly arise from airborne spores during the spring, summer, and fall months. Inhaled mold spores cause inflammation in the eyes, throat, and sinuses. Ingested mold can cause inflammation in other parts of the body, such as the gastrointestinal system and the skin.

Symptoms caused by blue cheese result from inflammation in soft tissue in different parts of the body. Blue spots found in cheese are called molds. Inflammation is caused due to histamine produced in the soft tissue by the allergenic product that you consumed.

Allergy is a reaction that is caused by the immune system where the immune system releases immunoglobulin antibodies that attack the substance. In some cases, this inflammation can lead to damage in the respiratory and cardiovascular system which may also lead to a state of shock. This may sometimes be life-threatening so if notice any inflammation after having blue cheese see your doctor as soon as possible.