Are you a fan of oat milk?
If so, you may have noticed that there are different types of oat milk available on the market.
One popular brand, Califia Farms, offers both shelf-stable and refrigerated oat milk options.
But how long do these products last? And how should you store them to ensure they stay fresh?
In this article, we’ll explore the shelf life of Califia Farms oat milk and provide some tips for proper storage.
Whether you’re a seasoned oat milk drinker or just curious about this trendy dairy alternative, read on to learn more!
How Long Is Califia Farms Oat Milk?
Califia Farms oat milk comes in two varieties: shelf-stable and refrigerated.
Shelf-stable oat milk can be stored in your pantry or on a countertop until the expiration date printed on the carton. Once opened, it should be refrigerated and consumed within 7-10 days.
Refrigerated oat milk, on the other hand, should always be kept in the fridge. Unopened cartons can last up to a month, but once opened, they should be consumed within 7-10 days.
It’s important to note that these time frames are just guidelines. Always check the expiration date and use your best judgment when deciding whether or not to consume a product.
Shelf-Stable Vs. Refrigerated Oat Milk: What’s The Difference?
When it comes to oat milk, there are two main types: shelf-stable and refrigerated. The difference between the two is primarily in the packaging. Shelf-stable oat milk is packaged in an aseptic format that creates a sterile environment inside the carton, which means there are no unwanted microorganisms that could spoil the product before it’s opened. This allows for a longer shelf life, and unopened cartons can be stored in your pantry or on a countertop until the expiration date printed on the carton.
Refrigerated oat milk, as its name suggests, requires refrigeration at all times. Unopened cartons can last up to a month in the fridge, but once opened, they should be consumed within 7-10 days. This is because once the carton is opened, it’s exposed to air and potential bacteria that could cause spoilage.
It’s important to note that not all brands of oat milk offer both shelf-stable and refrigerated options, so be sure to check the packaging and label to determine which type you have. Additionally, always follow the storage guidelines provided on the carton and use your best judgment when deciding whether or not to consume a product.
How Long Does Shelf-Stable Califia Farms Oat Milk Last?
Shelf-stable Califia Farms oat milk can last up to 6-12 months if left unopened and stored in a cool, dark place like a pantry. However, once opened, it should be consumed within 7-10 days and refrigerated after opening.
It’s important to keep in mind that the actual shelf life of the product may vary depending on factors like time, temperature, and air exposure. To ensure that your shelf-stable oat milk lasts as long as possible, store it in an airtight container and minimize its exposure to air.
Always double check the expiration date before consuming any product, and if you notice any changes in color or flavor, it’s best to discard the product. While shelf-stable oat milk has a longer shelf life than refrigerated oat milk, it’s still important to consume it within a reasonable time frame to ensure its freshness and quality.
How Long Does Refrigerated Califia Farms Oat Milk Last?
Refrigerated Califia Farms oat milk can last up to a month if it remains unopened. However, once the carton is opened, it should be consumed within 7-10 days. It’s important to store the opened carton in the fridge and make sure it’s sealed airtight to minimize air exposure.
Factors such as time, temperature, and air exposure can affect the longevity of refrigerated oat milk. If the oat milk is left at room temperature for a few hours, it may spoil much faster. Therefore, it’s crucial to refrigerate the carton immediately after use. Additionally, if the ambient room temperature is high, the chance of spoilage is much greater than if it’s left in a cold environment.
It’s also important to minimize contact with air as that increases the risk of the oat milk going bad. Using an airtight container with minimal air left inside the vessel can help prevent spoilage. Most manufactured oat milk brands come in an airtight container, so this shouldn’t be an issue.
If properly stored below 40 degrees Fahrenheit, refrigerated Califia Farms oat milk may even last up to 14 days past the printed expiration date. However, it’s always best to use your senses to determine if something is wrong before or after that length of time. Changes in color and flavor will be a clear indication that the oat milk has past its prime.
Factors That Affect The Shelf Life Of Oat Milk
Several factors can affect the shelf life of oat milk, including time, temperature, air exposure, and packaging.
Time is a crucial factor in determining the shelf life of oat milk. Unopened shelf-stable oat milk can last up to 12 months, while refrigerated oat milk can last up to a month. However, once opened, both varieties should be consumed within 7-10 days.
Temperature also plays a significant role in the shelf life of oat milk. Oat milk should always be stored in the fridge once opened to prevent spoilage. If left out at room temperature for an extended period, it can spoil much faster. The ambient room temperature will also have an effect on the longevity of oat milk storage, even if it is placed in the fridge after an hour or two.
Air exposure is another factor that can affect the shelf life of oat milk. Minimizing contact with air is essential to prevent spoilage. An airtight container should be used to store oat milk with minimal air left inside the vessel; otherwise, it will spoil quickly.
Packaging is also a factor that affects the shelf life of oat milk. Shelf-stable oat milk is packaged in an aseptic format that results in a sterile environment inside the carton. This means there are no unwanted microorganisms, making it last longer than refrigerated oat milk.
How To Store Califia Farms Oat Milk Properly
Proper storage of Califia Farms oat milk is essential to ensure its freshness and quality. Here are some tips on how to store your oat milk properly:
1. Keep it refrigerated: Once you bring home your refrigerated oat milk, make sure to store it in the fridge immediately. The ideal temperature for storing oat milk is between 33°F to 40°F (0°C to 4°C).
2. Use a clean container: If you transfer the oat milk to a different container, make sure it’s clean and sanitized. A glass jar with a tight-fitting lid is a good option.
3. Keep it away from light: Oat milk can be sensitive to light, so it’s best to store it in a dark area of your fridge.
4. Shake well before using: Before using your oat milk, give it a good shake to ensure that all the ingredients are well mixed.
5. Check the expiration date: Always check the expiration date before consuming your oat milk. If it’s past the expiration date or has an off odor or taste, discard it.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your Califia Farms oat milk stays fresh and delicious for as long as possible.
Signs That Your Oat Milk Has Gone Bad
It’s important to know how to tell if your oat milk has gone bad, as consuming spoiled milk can lead to food poisoning. Here are some signs that your oat milk may have gone bad:
1. Check the expiration date: The first thing you should do is check the “Best By” or “Use By” date on the carton. If it has passed, it’s likely that the oat milk has gone bad.
2. Check the consistency: Pour a little bit of oat milk into a sink or bowl and check the consistency. Spoiled oat milk becomes chunky and has a thicker texture, so if you notice lumps or an uneven texture, it’s likely bad.
3. Look at the color: Spoiled oat milk has a yellow tint, darker than its natural, fresh color. If you notice that your milk doesn’t look the same color as it did when you bought or made it, it might be spoiled.
4. Smell the oat milk: Open the container of oat milk and smell it. If it smells sour or not fresh, it might have gone bad. When oat milk is way past its expiration date, it gives off a strong sour smell that’s easily distinguishable from its normal smell.
5. Taste a small amount: If you’re still not sure whether the milk is spoiled or not, pour a small amount onto a spoon and taste it. If it tastes sour or tart, spit it out and dispose of the milk.
Always trust your senses when determining if your oat milk has gone bad. It’s better to be safe than sorry and avoid consuming spoiled food.