Are you a fan of almond milk yogurt but find yourself with too much leftover? Don’t let it go to waste!
Freezing almond milk yogurt is a great way to extend its shelf life and save money. But, as with any frozen food, there are some things you need to know before popping it in the freezer.
In this article, we’ll answer the question “Can You Freeze Almond Milk Yogurt?” and provide tips on how to properly freeze and thaw it. Plus, we’ll give you some creative ideas on how to use frozen almond milk yogurt cubes.
So, let’s dive in!
Can You Freeze Almond Milk Yogurt?
The short answer is yes, you can freeze almond milk yogurt. However, like regular yogurt, the texture of frozen almond milk yogurt will change once it’s thawed. This means that it’s best to use it in cooked or baked recipes, where the texture change won’t be noticeable. Eating it plain after thawing won’t be nearly as pleasant as eating it fresh.
It’s important to note that freezing almond milk yogurt severely disrupts its structure, leading to a lot of separation upon thawing. This separation is due to the water content in the yogurt freezing and expanding, causing the solids to separate.
To freeze almond milk yogurt, transfer it into an airtight container or ice cube tray and place it in the freezer. Make sure to label the container with the date so you can keep track of how long it has been frozen.
Why Freeze Almond Milk Yogurt?
There are a few reasons why you might want to freeze almond milk yogurt. First, it’s a great way to extend its shelf life. If you have a large container of yogurt that you know you won’t be able to finish before it spoils, freezing it is a good option.
Freezing almond milk yogurt is also a convenient way to have it on hand for smoothies or other recipes. By freezing it in ice cube trays, you can easily pop a few cubes into your blender without having to thaw out an entire container.
Additionally, freezing almond milk yogurt can be a good way to reduce food waste. If you have leftover yogurt that you know won’t be eaten before it goes bad, freezing it is a great way to use it up instead of throwing it away.
How To Properly Freeze Almond Milk Yogurt
If you’re planning to freeze almond milk yogurt, it’s important to follow a few simple steps to ensure that it stays fresh and tasty. Here’s how to properly freeze almond milk yogurt:
1. Choose the right container: Use an airtight container or silicone ice cube tray with a lid to prevent the yogurt from spilling in the freezer. Make sure the container is freezer-safe.
2. Portion the yogurt: Portion the yogurt into small containers or ice cube trays to make it easier to use later. This way, you can thaw only what you need without having to defrost the entire batch.
3. Label and date: Label the containers with the date so you know how long it has been frozen. This is important because frozen almond milk yogurt should be used within 2-3 months for best quality.
4. Freeze: Place the containers or ice cube trays in the freezer and freeze for 2-3 hours or until set. You can also freeze it overnight if you prefer.
5. Thaw: When you’re ready to use the frozen almond milk yogurt, remove it from the freezer and let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Do not thaw it at room temperature as this can cause bacterial growth.
6. Use in recipes: Once thawed, use the almond milk yogurt in cooked dishes or baked goods where the texture change won’t be noticeable. Do not eat it plain after thawing as the texture and taste will be altered.
By following these simple steps, you can freeze almond milk yogurt and use it later without compromising its quality and taste.
Thawing Almond Milk Yogurt
Thawing almond milk yogurt is a simple process, but it requires some patience. The best way to thaw frozen almond milk yogurt is to transfer it from the freezer to the refrigerator and let it thaw overnight. This slow thawing process will help prevent further separation of the solids and ensure that the texture remains as smooth as possible.
Once the almond milk yogurt is thawed, give it a good stir or blend it in a blender to help restore its creamy texture. If you’re using it in a recipe, you can add it directly to the dish without any additional preparation.
If you need to thaw almond milk yogurt quickly, you can place the container in a bowl of cold water. Make sure to change the water every 30 minutes to prevent the yogurt from warming up too much. Avoid using hot water or a microwave to thaw frozen almond milk yogurt as this can cause further separation and alter its texture.
Creative Ways To Use Frozen Almond Milk Yogurt Cubes
If you have some frozen almond milk yogurt cubes on hand, there are plenty of creative ways to use them. Here are a few ideas:
1. Smoothies: Frozen almond milk yogurt cubes are perfect for adding creaminess and a tangy flavor to smoothies. Simply blend the cubes with your favorite fruits and veggies for a delicious and nutritious drink.
2. Baked goods: Almond milk yogurt can be used in place of regular yogurt in many baked goods recipes. Try adding some frozen almond milk yogurt cubes to your favorite muffin or cake batter for an extra boost of flavor.
3. Frozen treats: Use frozen almond milk yogurt cubes as a base for homemade popsicles or frozen yogurt treats. Simply blend the cubes with some fresh fruit and honey, pour into molds, and freeze until solid.
4. Sauces: Almond milk yogurt can be used as a base for creamy sauces and dips. Try blending some frozen almond milk yogurt cubes with garlic, lemon juice, and herbs for a tasty dip for veggies or crackers.
5. Overnight oats: Use frozen almond milk yogurt cubes as a creamy addition to your overnight oats. Simply mix the cubes with oats, chia seeds, and your favorite sweetener, and let sit in the fridge overnight for a delicious breakfast.